A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Minor League Baseball on Tuesday, March 20, launched Copa de la Diversión, an effort to attract first-time Hispanic fans to the ballpark and generating $3 million in new revenue for participating clubs. The campaign calls for 33 teams to be rebranded on a limited basis to take part in a 165-game program.
For select games this year, the Mariachis de Nuevo Mexico will take the field in Albuquerque. The Durham Bulls will become the Toros. Omaha’s Storm Chasers be the Cazadores de Tormentas. And the Minors will welcome back the Las Vegas Reyes de Plata and Charlotte Caballeros.
- DHL renewed its ties with Formula One in addition to becoming the first official partner of F1’s new esports series. “As the first official partner of the F1 eSports Series, we are very pleased to accompany Formula One on its digital journey and to actively contribute to the expansion and emotionalisation of the product range for fans,” stated Arjan Sissing, head of corporate brand marketing at Deutsche Post DHL Group.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- YouTube TV will be the first-ever presenting sponsor for the NBA male and female Finals. Google has signed several sports partnerships for YouTube TV in recent months.
- NASCAR and PNC Bank signed a five-year agreement that makes the company the “Official Bank of NASCAR” and “Official Wealth Management Partner of NASCAR.” The deal gives PNC exclusive status and promotional rights around retail, corporate and private banking across the country and US military bases abroad. According to 2011 data, 20% of NASCAR’s followers are multicultural fans, 9% were Hispanic and 8% African-American.
- Formula One is producing a docu-series with Netflix to spotlighting the 2018 season.
Check out the stars of Portada’s Sports Marketing Board, who will meet at Portada Miami on April 18-19 to discuss various topics related to the future of marketing and innovation in sports. Register now!