A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- The MLS has locked in a one-year sponsorship deal with streaming platform Twitch. Through this deal, the MLS will start streaming the second season of their esports league in conjunction with EA Sports’ FIFA franchise, eMLS Cup, starting March. “FIFA is one of the main generators of the fans that we have,” MLS Digital Senior VP Chris Schlosser said, via an official statement. “If you look at it historically – radio built baseball, television built the NFL and NBA, and the internet is building soccer.”
The partnership between Twitch and MLS could also include content outside of the eMLS Cup, featuring highlights or media produced by MLS teams, or clips of MLS games moving forward.
- Univision Deportes announced it would broadcast 27 matches of the 2019 Major League Soccer regular season, this year, along with the MLS All-Star Game, two MLS Playoff matches, and the 2019 MLS Cup. Broadcast networks Univision and UniMas will both be home to MLS action this season, with most matches simulcast on Univision Deportes Network.
Subscribe to Portada’s weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- Canadian Soccer Business inked a ten-year “Official Media Partnership” with MEDIAPRO, which includes the global and domestic rights to the Canadian Premier League, and the global and domestic media rights to the Canadian Championship. MEDIAPRO will continue to work with CSB to contemplate all distribution opportunities, partnerships, and platforms that ensure the future success of CSB’s media assets.
- USL and ESPN locked in a deal to bring every game of USL League One’s inaugural 2019 season to ESPN+, with the regular season kicking off the weekend of March 29-30. ESPN+ will stream a total of more than 700 games across the USL Championship and League One in the 2019 season.
- Los Angeles-based mezcal label Mezcal El Silencio has been announced as a strategic new partner to the LA Galaxy and the team’s home stadium, Dignity Health Sports Park. The multi-year agreement makes Silencio the exclusive mezcal of both the multi-use sports stadium and the Los Angeles MLS team. Silencio is the first mezcal ever to strike a partnership of this kind with a professional sports team.
Join us at PORTADA LOS ANGELES on March 15, 2019, at the Loews Beach Hotel Santa Monica, where we will dive deep into sports and soccer marketing’s preeminent topics. Felix Palau, VP Marketing, Heineken will discuss “How to measure ROI and transfer best practices between sports marketing platforms”. Other speaking engagements include Tiago Pinto, Global Marketing Director, Gatorade who will provide answers to the question: “Will Corporate America jump on the soccer opportunity?”Attendees will also be able to benefit from Portada’s meet-up service of three-eight-minute meetings with top brand executives!
- FC Cincinnati has added three new corporate partners ahead of the team’s inaugural 2019 season in Major League Soccer. The club has signed new sponsorship agreements with Advocare, Heineken and Mike’s Carwash. The new partnerships were announced by FCC President and General Manager Jeff Berding during his “State of the Club” media roundtable at the club’s annual Media Day.
- Italian soccer player Alessandro Del Piero confirmed being an owner of LA10 FC, a small soccer club based in Los Angeles. “After a period of anonymity (you know me, I like privacy), I decided to share this beautiful experience and give credit to the entire team for the amazing results they’ve achieved,” Del Piero wrote on his website. The former Juventus striker decided to go public after the team went undefeated this season to gain promotion to the highest level of the United Premier Soccer League (UPSL).