A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Telemundo is planning on partnering with SportsManias to create a World Cup-themed keyboard, providing fans with animated soccer emojis for this summer’s FIFA World Cup. According to the broadcaster announcement, the keyboard will feature animated emojis of players scoring goals and celebrating, referees pulling out red cards, fans waving their country’s colors, and more.
- According to Nielsen, the FC Barcelona vs Real Madrid game last May 6 made beIN SPORTS’ ratings spike. “El Clasico” matchup between LaLiga archrivals averaged more than 1.4 million total viewers across both networks.
- Post Cereals Kicks-Off Major League Soccer Support, as the Official Cereal of MLS. Starting in June, limited edition MLS cereal boxes can be found at grocery stores nationwide, featuring collectible Topps MLS player trading card cut-outs. In addition, more than 20 events will be held in grocery store parking lots across the country from June through August.
- GoGo squeeZ has been named the official applesauce and yogurt sponsor of the 2018 Kick It National Tour. The Tour officially begins on June 2 and will involve more than 30,000 youth soccer players across more than 70 events in 2018.
- FC Diez Media, IMG and Perform’s joint venture set up to advise CONMEBOL on their commercial rights for club competitions from 2019-22, is now tendering media rights for CONMEBOL Sudamericana and CONMEBOL Recopa until June 6. This is the first time Sudamericana rights have been made available through a tender process and sold separately to the CONMEBOL Libertadores competition.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- ESPN and the FC Bayern Munich have reached an agreement for the broadcaster to use and share content directly from the German Bundesliga club across its digital and linear platforms. With this deal, Bayern Munich will make available its content – behind-the-scenes video, access-driven features, pre- and post-match reports, press briefings, team travelogue, and more – for use across different ESPN programs in the United States, Canada, throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Minute Media has raised $17 million in a Series F funding round, with new investors, including Goldman Sachs and Vintage Investment Partners, and existing investors such as Battery Ventures, Dawn Capital and Qumra Capital. This adds up to a total funding of $77 million to-date.
- FOX is preparing for the 2018 FIFA World Cup by using heavy weight influencers like David Beckham, Ryan Reynolds, Joel Embiid, Alex Morgan and Evander Holyfield, who all play featured roles in FOX Sports’ The World Becomes the FIFA World Cup campaign. Also appearing are FOX Sports Lead Studio Host Rob Stone and Lead Studio Analyst, Alexi Lalas. “It doesn’t get any bigger than the FIFA World Cup. It brings together the worlds of sports and celebrity for an incredible month-long pop culture event,” stated Robert Gottlieb, EVP of Marketing, FOX Sports.“It was a natural fit to have movie stars, musicians and championship athletes as part of our campaign.”