A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- The NBA G League locked a multi-year distribution deal with global video-sharing platform Dailymotion. The platform will become a primary host to the G League’s official channels, and will possibly distribute VOD content from more than 1,300 games over the next two seasons.
- The Chicago Cubs are promoting content for their new regional sports network (RSN) through the relaunch of their YouTube channel. Crane Kenney, the Cubs’ president of business operations, told the Chicago Tribune that the platform offers the franchise’s in-house Cubs Productions the opportunity to do long-form programming and create magazine video material. “The YouTube channel will give them a chance to start stretching their legs a little bit in a more direct-to-consumer way. Obviously, the network is the next step,” the executive stated.
Subscribe to Portada weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- NBA team the Oklahoma City Thunder are adding a jersey patch featuring the logo of Love’s Travel Stops & Country Stores. By doing so, the team became the 30th and final NBA team to announce a corporate sponsorship for their uniform.
- Combate Americas shared that its second live televised MMA event of 2019 – ‘Mexico vs. Spain’ –reached more than 537,000 viewers on Univision. “Our viewership proves Combate Americas to be a rising ratings magnet,” said Combate Americas CEO Campbell McLaren. “Our momentum is building, and we see no ceiling for how high our numbers can go. The industry may not have seen this coming, but we have known all along that we will change the face of the sport one telecast at a time.”
- The Professional Fighters League announced a multi-year partnership with beer giant Anheuser Busch In-Bev. The deal designates Estrella Jalisco as the first-ever “Official Beer Partner” of the PFL. As the Official Beer of the PFL, Estrella Jalisco has global rights to use PFL logos and “Official Partner” branding for advertising and promotional usage, including pass-through branding rights for promotions with on-premise and retail channel partners.