What: We looked at the top 15 online retail sites visited by shoppers in the US in September of this year and how they scored in numbers of visitors.
Why it matters: Anticipation over Apple’s release of two new iPhones and major product updates this fall may explain an increase in visitors to its retail site in the US. Visits increased by nearly 1%, continuing an upward trend since July. Visits to the department store retailer Kohl’s site jumped two rankings to outpace visits to Best Buy, Lowe’s and Macy’s.
|Number of visitors to the Top 15 e-commerce sites in the US, September 2018|
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop||939,255|
|Site||Total Unique Visitors|
|Apple.com Worldwide Sites||73558|
|The Home Depot, Inc.||43144|
|Best Buy Sites||36248|
Visits to Apple’s online retail site jumped from 7.3% of all visits to the top 15 sites to 8.1% in September, according to the latest rankings from comScore. Amazon, Walmart, eBay and Apple continued to dominate the top four positions in the rankings in that order. The department store retailer Kohl’s managed to move up a position compared to the previous month, from 12th to 10th place. Macy’s took last place in the rankings, the same position it occupied the month before.
- Macy’s saw a slight uptick in visitors compared to August, but remained in last place at 29,880 visitors in September.
- Apple has seen an upward trend in visitors to its retail site since July of this year, topping out at 73,558 visitors in September.
- Ticketmaster dropped two places in the rankings to 12th place in September from 10th place in August, for a total of 35,005 visitors.
- The Home Depot continues to outpace Lowe’s in numbers of online visitors to its website, seeing 43,144 visitors in September compared to 32,131 for Lowe’s. Lowe’s has announced it will close 47 stores in the US and Canada.
- Best Buy held on to its 10th place position in September, with a total of 36,248 visits compared to 39,329 in August.
- Target continues to outpace Kohl’s, Macy’s Best Buy, Lowe’s and The Home Depot in number of online visitors, coming in at 57,236 in September.
- The majority of all online site visits by shoppers still belongs to Amazon, Walmart and eBay, at 21.1%, 12.2% and 11.4% respectively.