Teresa Wakeley, Marketing Media Manager, Volkswagen made a very interesting presentation at Our “Connecting Brands to Local Audiences" Conference (Fourth Annual Hispanic Digital and Print Media Conference, NYC, Sept. 30). Wakeley presented the objectives, strategies and results of Volkswagen’s World Cup Campaign. Learn here how VW worked to create brand awareness among Hispanic Fútbol Fans.
World Cup Campaign Objectives:
- Build Brand Awareness
- Increase familiarity of its 13 models
- Drive consideration and purchase intent
- Sell over 800K cars by 2018!
Hispanic consumers will play a key role in the Brand’s ability to reach these aggressive goals. Volkswagen wanted to celebrate the unique, self-expression of soccer “fanáticos” throughout the country.
Position Volkswagen as: “The Official Car of Fútbol Fans.”
- Brand and Model focused TV: highlighting key models and tie strongly with the fan mind set.
- Online and Social Media: creating an online community inviting fans to upload a video showing their Fandom.
- Fanstitials:going to different cities documenting the many ways fans manifest their passion for soccer.
- Dealership Activation: Providing tools and assets to drive leads and traffic.
- Public Relations:Build hype pre, during and post leveraging our celebrity soccer talent.
Drive consumers to the FACEBOOK Fan Page to interact and engage with the brand and to grow familiarity with the 13 VW models
- Encourage fan participation by having consumers submit their own "Fan Videos” for an opportunity to appear in a :30 TV spot that airerd during the World Cup semifinals.
- Extend WOM to help position Volkswagen as the “Official Car of Fútbol Fans”.
Total Market Media Approach, Reach Fútbol Fans Everywhere
- Showcase models and drive fan participation via presence in every game broadcast on Univision/Telefutura/Galavision
- Utilize paid media on Facebook targeted to Soccer Fans -GM and Hispanic to drive traffic to Facebook Page (Spanish or English Option)
- Promote via homepage units targeting soccer fans and social media extensions
- Complement with presence around WC coverage on both Univision and ESPN Sportscenter (English)
- Presence on top-visited websites for additional World Cup reach.
TV Creative: “Call to action spot”, “Flags” and “Everywhere”.
Partnership Marketing: The campaign includes Print and Giveaway Posters in partnership with DC United, Houston Dynamo and MLS Relationships.
Grass Roots Strategy: Volkswagen leveraged its partnerships with MLS and National Soccer Leagues to activate events at MLS home games (DC United and Houston Dynamo), MLS tournaments, and viewing parties during key World Cup matches. 40+ events in 17 cities nationwide.
Dealer Activation: Various elements were available to dealers in order to activate within dealership and at local soccer tournaments: Dealer Posters, Flag Bumper Stickers, Branded Soccer Balls, Themed Jerseys, Routan Soccer Wraps.
2010 World Cup – PR Strategy
- Generated national Hispanic press coverage by inviting media to local activations (e.g. Houston Dynamo event), pitching campaign press release, and distributing post event images / B-Roll.
- Selected and media trained Hispanic MNT soccer player spokespeople and coordinated on-site interview opportunities.
- Leveraged community angle of the campaign to garner further interest from Hispanic sports and community reporters.
World Cup Campaign Results
Facebook: 1,298 page views per Day during World Cup Campaign Flight.
- VW Facebook Page: 196,026 Page Views and 31,860 new “Likes”. 524 Likes per Day from World Cup Campaign.
- Fútbol Fans Tab: 140,099 Page Views. 122 Total Photos Submitted and 644 total votes on Photos. Customized Cards: 402 total “cars” submitted and 542 total votes submitted.
- Fútbol Fans Videos: 306 Total Videos submitted. 15,098 total votes on videos and 12,387 total video views. 306 videos were submitted from World Cup Campaign.
Facebook paid media was able to drive a high level of awareness by reaching 3MM unique users and generating 524 “new likes” per day.
Although the main objective was awareness, the campaign brought in 757 incremental prospects. Vw.com website activity increased by 181% in page views and 221% in visits during the World Cup.