Colombia to Host Copa America Final; Weekly Soccer Marketing News
We finally know who is hosting the Copa America Final. A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Colombia will host next year’s Copa America final, according to the country’s president, Ivan Duque. Conmebol had previously announced that Colombia would co-host the tournament, but the location of the finals hadn’t been announced yet. Copa America is South America’s soccer flagship national team tournament; this is its 47th edition.
“Copa America final will take place in Colombia, which has been one of the greatest desires of all of us," Duque said at a public appearance. The game will be played at the Estadio Metropolitano Roberto Meléndez, in the port city of Barranquilla.
- Major League Soccer will now accept gambling and liquor sponsorship, starting in 2020. Every team will now be able to sign deals with any licensed gaming and betting operators. The league’s revision of its commercial policy also includes accepting liquor sponsorships. The youth teams in the league or players younger than 21, though, won’t be allowed to wear jerseys with logos of sponsors promoting gambling or liquor.
Read also in Portada: Copa America: 100 Years of Soccer Passion
- Premier League soccer club Arsenal and gaming developer Konami have extended their global sponsorship agreement for three more years. This means that Konami will remain the club’s official video game partner until at least June 2022. Arsenal will be featured in the eFootball PES 2020 game, including a 3D recreation of its Emirates Stadium, and club players
In return, the company will have access to the Gunners’ first-team players and legends, as well as gaining an increased presence at match days and across the club’s media channels.
“We are excited to work with Konami to further engage our huge global fanbase and give them the opportunity to experience the players, legends and Emirates Stadium so accurately within eFootball PES 2020,” stated Peter Silverstone, Arsenal’s commercial director.
- Also Manchester United has locked a deal with Konami to star in the company’s PES 2020 video game. As part of the deal, United midfielder Scott McTominay has been selected as an ambassador for the game, which is released in September.
“We are excited to bring Manchester United into the eFootball PES series – renowned for its realism and control,” said Jonas Lygaard, senior director of brand and business development at Konami Digital Entertainment.
- Paris Saint-Germain confirmed a long-term extension of their kit deal with Nike. Described as the biggest sponsorship agreement’ in their history, Nike will remain the club’s technical partner until 2032. The financial terms of the new contract have not been disclosed
“The agreement represents a very important milestone, reflecting what the club has become on the global stage and the great ambitions we have for the future,” said PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi. “Nike has been the club’s most faithful partner and this deal shows its firm commitment to continue with us every step of the way for many years to come.
Subscribe to Portada’s weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- Spanish soccer champions Barcelona teamed up with online platform Roblox, to showcase their new home kit for the 2019/20 season. Members of the platform will be able to play in various games as one of two avatars kitted out in the La Liga side’s new home shirt.
- The return on investment via television for lead sponsors of clubs in Spanish La Liga summed US$33 million over the 2018/19 season, according to a study by sponsorship consultancy Strock. Real Madrid returned €3.36 million for Dubai-based airline Emirates, whilst Barcelona delivered €3.27 million for Japanese ecommerce firm Rakuten.
- OTT service DAZN has locked the exclusive broadcast rights for the Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana and Recopa Sudamericana in five markets through 2022. The deal covers Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and Spain and includes the ongoing 2019 tournament as well as the next three editions.
- Turner Sports will stream matches from Liverpool’s pre-season tour of the US later this month, via its OTT service B/R Live and pay-TV network. The English soccer giants, who return to action following their recent triumph in the Uefa Champions League final, will feature in three matches in the US ahead of the 2019/20 Premier League campaign.
- New Era Cap, the official on-field cap of MLS, has launched the New Era 2019 MLS Jersey Hook Collection. The collection allows fans to represent their team, whether they’re playing on their own field or on the road.
The collection, available for all 24 teams, features the team’s logo on the front of the crown and the MLS logo on the back. A variety of defining team attributes, such as a mascot, establish date and slogan, are also embroidered on the right-side panel of each cap.