Real Madrid Female Team on the Works; Weekly Soccer Marketing News
Did you know there's an all-star Real Madrid female team on the works? Here's a summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
European Female Teams
For the past few years, the public has greatly criticized the lack of a Real Madrid female team. Meanwhile, some of the team’s biggest rivals Barcelona and Atletico Madrid have been regularly competing for titles in the women’s division. According to Spanish media, a Real Madrid female team will finally be a reality. The new female division will start competing the next season. El Pais said Madrid has purchased CD Tacon, based in the Spanish capital who have won promotion to the Liga Iberdrola, for 400,000 euros. Madrid declined to comment on the reports.
- Spanish women’s top-flight Liga Iberdrola will be streamed via Uefa’s new over-the-top service. The announcement was given during a recent meeting to discuss league structure with the top Spanish women’s clubs. Also, Iñaki Mikeo was unveiled as the new director of the domestic women’s game.
- Paris Saint-Germain announced a new two-year deal with Japanese men’s skincare brand Bulk Homme. The cosmetics firm will be able to use PSG’s brand and players as part of its promotional campaigns across Asia.
- Ajax has renewed its contract with shirt sponsor Dutch pay-TV network Ziggo for two more years. The deal could be extended through 2024. Ziggo has been paying around €8 million a year, plus as much as €2 million in bonuses.
- Gillette’s Barcelona sponsorship has come to an end. The Procter & Gamble-owned brand has ruled out prolonging their relationship. Turkish tire manufacturer Lassa also opted not to extend their deals beyond the 2018/19 season.
Read also in Portada: Women’s Sports and Brands: the Seismic Shift Expands
- Austin FC hired Excel Sports Management agency to boost their sponsorship sales efforts. Specifically, the team is looking for a stadium naming rights and jersey sponsor, ahead of its inaugural season in 2021. Excel will work alongside Austin FC's existing partnership team and cooperate with Steve Lauletta.
- North Carolina FC is increasing its bid to join the MLS by unveiling plans for a US$1.9 billion stadium. Located in downtown Raleigh, the building will include a new 20,000-seater multi-use stadium and other entertainment offerings. “Having an urban stadium with great highway access and with entertainment options surrounding it will strengthen our bid,” said Malik, speaking to WRAL TechWire.
- The United Soccer League (USL) is adding a new franchise in San Diego. The announcement comes after the city secured an agreement to enter into the Championship. The new San Diego club will enter into the league in 2021, or maybe even 2020. The club will initially play at the 6,000-seat Torero Stadium at the University of San Diego. The San Diego franchise is backed by Landon Donovan.
- The Seattle Sounders FC and its partner Delta Air Lines teamed up on a new, three-part docuseries titled “Nonstop Scouting”. The show explores the intersection of travel, culture, and soccer and follows the travels of Chris Henderson, Sounders FC’s vice president of soccer and sporting director, in his search for the team’s next star player.
Subscribe to Portada’s weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
Media: Women's Game
- Beats by Dre, Powerade, Wells Fargo, Fubo TV, and UK-based Screwfix are some of the brands partnering with Minute Media 90min coverage of the FIFA Women’s World Cup. “The women’s game is changing and growing in stature attracting a lot of attention across the board. We are pleased to be working with some of the largest global consumer brands and biggest female football stars to elevate the coverage and share authentic perspective and insights into the game,” said Andres Cardenas, global head of football at Minute Media.
- Univision Deportes announced the latest edition of “Balón de Oro” (Golden Ball), the annual awards show recognizing the top players in Liga BBVA MX, the most-watched soccer league in the U.S. The squads of Club América, Tigres, Cruz Azul, and Necaxa will attend the awards ceremony.
- Telemundo Deportes’ presentation of USA/Spain on Monday drew a Total Audience Delivery of 740,000 viewers across Telemundo, NBCSN, TelemundoDeportes.com, the Telemundo Deportes app, and the NBC Sports app. This has become the most-watched weekday FIFA Women’s World Cup match in Spanish-language television history.