The Week in Soccer Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- The MLS has announced it will expand to 30 teams, up from the previously announced line of 28 clubs. “Professional soccer at all levels is thriving in the United States and Canada and we believe there are many markets that could support a successful MLS club,” MLS Commissioner Don Garber said in a league statement. “Expansion during the last 15 years has been enormously successful and a key driver behind the league’s continued rise, and we are pleased that some of the top business and community leaders representing great markets in North America are aggressively pursuing MLS expansion clubs.”
- CBC Sports and MEDIAPRO Canada unlocked a partnership that will see live coverage of 20 games throughout the 2019 season of the new Canadian Premier League on CBC Sports platforms. CBC will broadcast exclusively 10 Canadian Premier League games, with an additional 10 games available via free live streaming coverage.
- US Soccer and Major League Soccer signed a three-year partnership with meditation and mindfulness app Headspace. The app will annually provide thousands of app subscriptions to all U.S. Soccer and MLS athletes, coaches, and league and club staff to strengthen their mindfulness and meditation skills. As part of the deal, Headspace will conduct in-person introductory training sessions during U.S. Men’s and Women’s National Team training camps and at various MLS events.
Subscribe to Portada’s weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- The MLS has locked a deal with Twitch to live stream its 2019 Generation Adidas Cup academy tournament. Twitch will live stream 66 matches from the Generation Adidas Cup, an annual soccer tournament played between academies from the MLS and international academies, held at Toyota Stadium, in Texas, this week.
- Titulares y Más, Telemundo Deportes' Spanish-language sports and entertainment studio show, is expanding to a one-hour special edition throughout the FIFA Women’s World Cup France and Copa América Brazil, starting June 7. Running Monday-Friday at 11:35 pm and Saturdays and Sundays at 11 pm, the show will offer daily recaps and previews of both tournaments.
- English Liverpool Football Club will play in a trio of venues in the USA as part of their 2019/20 pre-season preparations this July. Fenway Park in Boston, Yankee Stadium in New York City and Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend at the University of Notre Dame will see the club play. In addition, while in the USA, the club will also participate in key local community projects in each city.
Ximena Cassab @xcassab
Ximena is a Swiss-Mexican journalist based in Mexico City where she specialized in business, and travel topics. Graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), she has worked as an editor at the magazines Expansión , Aire and Accent, from Expansion Group. Currently she is working with different media in Spanish and English independently. She is a passionate traveler who does not miss the opportunity to see a new place in the world.