The Week in Soccer Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Real Madrid’s defensive midfielder, Casemiro has become one of HyperX ambassadors. The player will use HyperX products while gaming and be featured in HyperX’s global advertising campaign “We’re All Gamers.”
- Banking group Barclays will appear as the first title sponsor of English football's Women's Super League. According to the BBC, the deal, which will run through 2022, is valued at over $13.2 million and will see the top tier of women's football in the country be renamed the Barclays FA Women's Super League.
- The Italian Football Federation’s (FIGC) formal off-field outfits will now be provided by Italian fashion brand Giorgio Armani, after signing a four-year deal. The deal will see Armani produce formalwear from its Emporio Armani range for the men’s, women’s and Under 21 national teams. “We are proud that Italian excellence like Emporio Armani has decided to link its brand to the Italian national football teams” FIGC president Gabriele Gravina said.
Subscribe to Portada's weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- Costa Rica-based gambling company Betcris has signed a four-year sponsorship deal with the Mexican Football Federation (FMF) to become the official betting site of the Mexican National Soccer Team. “We thank the FMF for allowing us to be part of a select group of sponsors. With this sponsorship, Betcris.mx has established itself as one of the leaders of the sports betting and casino industry in Mexico. We are very proud to be able to support the National Team and, especially, the most passionate and unconditional fans in the world”, stated JD Duarte, Betcris CEO.
- Spanish club La Liga has launched its own over-the-top (OTT) streaming service, becoming the first major European league to have its own OTT. LaLigaSportsTV will be available for free and will not show live La Liga games, but will include other content from Spanish soccer’s top flight such as match highlights and pre and post-match interviews. Fans outside of Spain will also be able to watch matches and competitions on demand once the live broadcast has ended, depending on local rights restrictions.
Ximena Cassab @xcassab
Ximena is a Swiss-Mexican journalist based in Mexico City where she specialized in business, and travel topics. Graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), she has worked as an editor at the magazines Expansión , Aire and Accent, from Expansion Group. Currently she is working with different media in Spanish and English independently. She is a passionate traveler who does not miss the opportunity to see a new place in the world.