The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Thunder Gaming announced a partnership with gaming hardware maker TechniSport. TechniSport will offer high-performance gaming chairs exclusively designed for Thunder Gaming Esports Center in Long Beach. “We are pleased to partner with TechniSport since they share our passion for delivering comfort and performance to amateur and pro players alike, ” stated Christian Bishop, CEO of Thunder Gaming. According to a 2014 Think Now Research study, Hispanics expressed more interest in watching others play video games compared to Non-Hispanics.
- The boxing encounter between Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao and Lucas "La Maquina” Matthysse will be live streamed exclusively in the US on July 14 on ESPN+. The fight will finalize a full day of boxing on the ESPN family of networks, as Regis “Rougarou” Prograis will defend the WBC Diamond super lightweight title against Juan Jose Velasco, and lightweight Teofimo Lopez will face William Silva, live on ESPN and ESPN Deportes.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History and La Vida Baseball are partnering to celebrate and explore Latino baseball culture and the impact of baseball on communities with baseball players and leaders, philanthropists, and historians. “Giving and the Game” is the centerpiece of the museum’s All-Star Film Festival on the evening of Friday, July 13.
- Repsol has extended its title sponsorship of the factory Honda MotoGP team until at least the end of the 2020 season. Together, Repsol Honda have won a total of 13 riders' titles and 163 premier-class grand prix wins.
- The Cubs and Biofreeze have locked a deal in which the pain reliever brand will be the exclusive sponsor of the club’s upcoming 10-game slate of games shown on Facebook. The package of games, beginning on July 10, are simulcasts of over-the-air broadcasts with WLS-ABC. Financial terms were not disclosed. “We see this effort on Facebook as the next generation of Cubs programming, and are really pleased to have Biofreeze step up like this,” said Cubs President of Business Operations Crane Kenney. 31% of MLB players are Latino, according to ESPN.