The Week in Soccer Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- The United Soccer League (USL) announced a partnership with WSC Sports, the leader in AI-powered sports video content, to automate and simplify USL’s video creation capabilities. USL will be able to create automated video highlights for more than 500 games of the regular season and playoff games. This places the USL on the same level as other WSC Sports clients that include the National Basketball Association, FIBA, Turner Sports and Cricket Australia.
- Canadian Premier League has granted a conditional club for Vancouver Island. The club will begin to play in 2019, upon the completion of a lease agreement at Westhills Stadium in Langford.
- Univision Deportes has made deals with Heineken, KFC, Nissan, and Walmart as sponsors for its World Cup coverage content, which will include reporting and analysis of the month-long tournament.
- Adidas will be outfitting 12 teams in the upcoming World Cup, over Nike’s 10 gear sponsorships, according to REUTERS. While team deals are important for sales of football jerseys, "more critical for sales of boots is the sponsorship of top players." According to REUTERS data, Nike expects 60% of all players heading to Russia to wear its boots.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- Twitter released a blog post sharing new data on which of the World Cup’s teams are the most mentioned around the globe over the past month. These are the top five: 1. Argentina. 2. Japan. 3. France. 4. England. 5. Spain.
- MP & Silva has made a formal offer to hold the media rights for CONMEBOL’s Copa America 2019 edition until June 13. The sales tender process will be open to broadcasters, digital platforms and media companies that operate in the United States territory and internationally and divided into two packages: the right to exploit the media rights in the United States in the Spanish language; and the right to exploit the media rights in the United States in the English language.
- FOX Sports has made a deal with adidas as the presenting sponsor of the full company streaming effort across all digital platforms for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia. Coca-Cola is sponsoring the short-form 90 in 90 match highlights, one of the top-performing FOX Sports digital offerings, as well as joining adidas as a co-sponsor of Team Channels.
- FanDuel is launching World Soccer Pick’em, presented by GameCredits. This marks the company’s first fully integrated fantasy US product for a global sporting event. Soccer fans will have access to a wide range of fantasy contests for the World Cup. FanDuel’s World Soccer Pick’em is available starting today, June 7th on FanDuel.com and on the FanDuel app.
Ximena Cassab @xcassab
Ximena is a Swiss-Mexican journalist based in Mexico City where she specialized in business, and travel topics. Graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), she has worked as an editor at the magazines Expansión , Aire and Accent, from Expansion Group. Currently she is working with different media in Spanish and English independently. She is a passionate traveler who does not miss the opportunity to see a new place in the world.