The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Nestle Waters North America and WWE presented a joint campaign to encourage consumers to live a healthy lifestyle and “choose water.” Additionally to the campaign, WWE and Nestle will release custom, co-branded, digital videos, featuring WWE Superstars Charlotte Flai®, Natalya, The New Day, Sin Cara and Titus O’Neil.
- AXS TV will carry New Japan Pro Wrestling’s G1 Special in San Francisco on July 7 at 8p. “As New Japan Pro Wrestling continues their U.S. expansion, we are proud to provide a platform for NJPW and TV Asahi to bring their electrifying events to as many fans as possible through our live, primetime broadcasts,” said AXS TV Fights CEO Andrew Simon.
- AirAsia made a deal with UFC, as a sponsor of UFC Fight Night Singapore, which meets Cowboy vs. Edwards on June 23. This will be the first UFC-branded AirAsia Airbus A330-300. “This exemplary partnership between UFC and AirAsia is a testament to the passion behind these two inspiring brands,” stated UFC Vice President, International Marketing Partnerships, Rene Valencia. According to a Washington Post poll, 38% of mixed martial arts fans are African-American, and 31% are Hispanics.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- Turtle Beach announced a new multi-year partnership to outfit esports Overwatch League, the Houston Outlaws. The team will use Turtle Beach's Elite gear during training, streams, and practice, and the two organizations will collaborate to bring Outlaws fans closer to the pro players with behind the scenes content and activations. According to a 2014 Think Now Research study Hispanics are nearly twice as likely to buy and wear video game branded apparel.
- WWE and Mexico’s newest national broadcast television network, Imagen Television, made a new agreement to broadcast WWE’s flagship programs Raw and SmackDown on free-to-air television in Mexico.
- Van Wagner Sports & Entertainment (VWSE) and Jersey Mike’s Subs announced the title sponsorship of the 2018 Jersey Mike’s Jamaica Classic, an annual pre-season college basketball tournament, to be held in Montego Bay. The newest NCAA basketball MTE tournament for college teams and their fans will be held November 16-18, 2018, in one of the most iconic destinations in the Caribbean.
- Chipotle Mexican Grill announced a partnership with TSM, as the team’s first-ever TSM Fortnite House sponsor. This partnership will feature multiple integrations, streaming exposure, and other activations.
- Riot Games is planning on consolidating its existing pro leagues in Latin America under one banner. The combined league will be played out of Santiago, Chile, with the move designed to improve the competitive level offered by the region.