NBCUniversal Telemundo Launches “Fluency Plus,” a Bilingual Digital Production Studio
What: NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises expands Fluency Studios with the launch of “Fluency Plus,” a new, bilingual digital production studio.
Why it matters: Division expands Fluency Studios to broaden audience, as well as evolve content and formats to address the needs of 13M+ Hispanic Millennials.
NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises announced the expansion of Fluency Studios with the launch of “Fluency Plus,” a new, bilingual digital production studio. The multiplatform digital content studio will provide a broad range of bilingual digital programming to more than 13 million Hispanic Millennials and members of Gen Z, a growing audience that identifies as bilingual and ambicultural, defined as “200%ers™” – 100% Latino and 100% American. The digital content will range from entertainment and lifestyle, to food, family, fashion, innovation and more. Fluency productions will move from Los Angeles to Miami in order to leverage the latest digital technology in NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises’ new state-of-the-art global headquarters in 2018.
“Fluency Plus” will produce a variety of English- and Spanish-language offerings beyond theatrical, including web and social-first series, mini-series, alternative, comedy and 360° virtual reality experiences that super-serve Millennial bilingual Hispanics with culturally relevant content year round. As part of the NBCUniversal portfolio, Fluency’s scalability is powered to more than 13 million Hispanic Millennials, which has attracted the attention of high-profile partners, including BuzzFeed, Snapchat, Tasty and Vox Media, among others.
“Fluency is now pivoting beyond its origins in Hispanic targeted feature films to incorporate a broad range of bilingual digital programming targeting Millennials and Gen Z,” said Peter E. Blacker, EVP, Digital and Emerging Business, NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises. “We are uniquely positioned to connect the large scale of the U.S. Hispanic audience with leading brands and partners.”
Marketed through a video-centric, social-first strategy aimed at super serving audiences in their preferred platforms and format, “Fluency Plus” will produce content that brings together true-to-life stories mirroring the unique bicultural Hispanic lifestyle - rooted simultaneously in two cultures, transcending language.
Upcoming programming highlights include:
- “Frente-A-Frente,” exclusive behind-the-scenes access and special coverage of Telemundo award shows. Telemundo will team up with BuzzFeed’s Latino-first brand “Pero Like” for exclusive interviews that explore the beautiful and hilarious differences of Latino subcultures. These activations will take place during the “Billboard Latin Music Awards,” “Premios Tu Mundo” and the “Latin American Music Awards.”
- “Girl Talk,”a weekly live show where Hispanic women come together to discuss the most talked about topics that concern and excite real, everyday Latinas living in the U.S. Launching in summer 2018, “Girl Talk” will air via Facebook Live every week on the “Telemundo Mujer” Facebook page.
- “Love Clicks,”a fully bilingual, 24/7 social-first reality competition series where, over seven weeks, fans will get to watch across every screen. In “Love Clicks,” the fan is in control, deciding camera views, awarding special activities and voting on their favorite couple to win the grand prize.
- “Much Ado About Nada,” a modern twist on the traditional telenovela, co-produced in partnership with BuzzFeed and distributed via social episodes across NBCU platforms.
- “MVTO”gives bilingual Hispanic millennials their daily dose of celebrity obsession, entertainment news and relatable humor, establishing a direct dialogue through cultural identity.
- “No Inventes,” a video series under the “El Pulso via Mashable” brand that will explore the latest and most innovative tech creations in the market, providing insight on the coolest and most unusual products coming out of the tech and entrepreneur world, with an emphasis on Hispanic inventors.
- “Party Crashers,”virtual reality and 360° video experiences tied to Telemundo’s award shows throughout the year, including the “Billboard Latin Music Awards,” “Premios Tu Mundo” and the “Latin American Music Awards.”
- “Quinceañera,”a digi-social reality show that will follow Hispanic teenagers’ journeys preparing for their coming-of-age party, offering a real life close-up of the excitement and family drama surrounding one of the most emblematic Hispanic traditions.
- “Secret Salsa,”launched in partnership with Tastemade, creates content for the U.S. Hispanic Millennial audience that feels as familiar as abuela’s cooking. In a saturated food market, “Secret Salsa” is rooted in cultural identity and represents commonalities all Latinos experience through food, regardless of language.
- “Today’s Special,”launched under “Secret Salsa” with Tastemade, will set out to search for and discover the hidden Latino food joints of America, where traditional Hispanic ingredients and recipes blend with American culture.