A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Dell and Intel have announced multi-year partnerships with new esports league NBA 2K League. This makes Dell’s Alienware gaming PCs powered by Intel processors the exclusive hardware to be used at league tournaments. According to a 2014 Think Now Research study, on average, Hispanics play video games more often than Non-Hispanics (12 hours per week vs. 9 hours for Non-Hispanics).
- BIG3 and Adidas announced a three-year partnership. Adidas will serve as the official outfitter of the esports league, starting at the 2018 BIG3 Combine on April 11 in LA. Adidas will be the official BIG3 jersey provider, outfitting all players in addition to developing new lines of licensed products for fans. Hispanics are nearly twice as likely to buy and wear video game branded apparel, according to hispanicgamers.com.
NASCAR announced that Steve Phelps has become Chief Operating Officer. Phelps will oversee all NASCAR commercial and media operations. “Steve has worked passionately over the years to lead the sport and it’s clear his impact is felt in all corners of the industry,” said NASCAR President Brent Dewar. According to 2011 data, 20% of NASCAR’s followers are multicultural fans, 9% were Hispanic and 8% African-American.
- MLB and Twitter launched the Twitter game of the week last Thursday, with out-of-market live streaming of the Rangers and Athletics. MLB will also make real-time game highlights from @MLB on Twitter during the season. 31% of MLB players are Latino, according to ESPN.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- The Chicago Cubs signed a multi-year Legacy Partnership with global insurance brokerage Gallagher. The company will become the official insurance brokerage, benefits and risk management services partner of the team. In addition, the entertainment plaza will now be named Gallagher Way.
- Logitech G announced its official partnership of Super League Gaming. The deal will include sponsorship of SLG’s Minecraft City Champs, League of Legends City Champs, and after-school programs across the country. “We’ve been so impressed with Super League’s work to create respectful gaming environments,” said Ujesh Desai, VP, and GM of Logitech Gaming. According to a 2014 Think Now Research study Hispanic gamers buy and rent video games more often than Non-Hispanics.
- Univision Deportes Network reported record-breaking ratings and double-digit growth this first quarter for its sports content across media platforms. UDN finished the first quarter as the No. 3 sports network, regardless of language, during primetime among Adults 18-49, led by Liga MX, which averaged 326,000 Total Viewers P2+ and 191,000 Adults 18-49.
Check out the stars of Portada’s Sports Marketing Board, who will meet at Portada Miami on April 18-19 to discuss various topics related to the future of marketing and innovation in sports. Register now!
- Twitch partnered with Nexon and Stunlock Studios to launch the inaugural season of Battlerite Pro League. Season 1 competition starts on April 12.
- Pure Michigan will stop sponsoring the August NASCAR Cup Series race at Michigan International Speedway. It’s been 7 years since the Travel Michigan campaign and arm of the Michigan Economic Development Corporation paid the sponsorship.