A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- The Portland Timbers announced a multiyear partnership extension with Alaska Airlines. As part of the continued partnership, the airline’s wordmark will continue to be featured prominently on Timbers game kits and club apparel. In addition, Alaska Airlines will continue to serve as the team’s official airline. As Founding Partner of the Timbers, Alaska Airlines has been the club’s jersey partner since its inaugural 2011 MLS season.
Big news. We’ve picked up the option on our contract to play for another five years with @TimbersFC. We celebrated Rose City style with Timber Joey, Coach Gio Savarese, our leadership team, and best of all, our Portland employees. pic.twitter.com/QxRRcrg44z
— Alaska Airlines (@AlaskaAir) February 6, 2018
- Telemundo, the exclusive Spanish-language home of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia, announced the launch of “El 12”, a new, bilingual digital initiative to search for the next generation of top soccer influencers in partnership with the global soccer media company COPA90. The selected creators will be tasked to share their passions, experiences and how they celebrate their national team with family and friends while building excitement and awareness of Telemundo’s Spanish-language coverage of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia.
- The Vancouver Whitecaps (of MLS) announced a multi-year sponsorship agreement with Ford, as the official automobile of the franchise. In addition, the carmaker will attach its name to a family zone in a designated seating section of BC Place Stadium during Whitecaps home games. Ford will also sponsor the ‘Caps Clubhouse presented by Ford,’ a concourse activation space targeted towards parents and kids.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- PepsiCo extended its partnership with UEFA. The company will continue to sponsor the Champions League for three more years with six PepsiCo brands including Pepsi Zero Sugar, Lay’s and Gatorade.
- Neymar Jr announced his plans to bring his global five-a-side team tournament to the US. The tournament will take place in 17 US cities and crown new champions in both the male and female divisions. This will be the third season of Neymar’s signature tournament.
- FOX Sports launched a new weekly soccer podcast, Alexi Lalas’ State of the Union, expanding its digital offerings and podcast portfolio ahead of the World Cup this summer.