A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- US Open ladies’ champion Naomi Osaka is set to sign Adidas’ biggest clothing deal with a female athlete. According to The Times, the deal is worth an estimated $8.5 million annually.
- The MLB will continue to commemorate Hispanic Heritage Month with a slate of events and efforts designed to spotlight the contributions to baseball by Hispanic and Latino players throughout the month of September. Initiatives include special MLB Network vignettes highlighting Latino stars, social and digital content across MLB’s bilingual platforms, and in-park Club celebrations around the league. MLB also presented new media platforms designed to provide real-time, quality content to the Spanish-speaking Hispanic and Latino audience.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- Baloncesto Suprerior Nacional, Puerto Rico’s premiere professional basketball league, locked a partnership with WSC Sports, the leader in AI powered sports video content, for automated creation and distribution of video highlights. WSC’s machine learning technology enables BSN to automatically create video highlights and share them across digital and social platforms. This is a small way for WSC to give back to Puerto Rico, following the devastation of Hurricane Maria in 2017.
- TwitchCon 2018 will see Doritos in the trenches, with the announcement of the Doritos Bowl on Oct. 27 in San Jose. The event will have top gamers competing in Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’s new battle royale mode, Blackout, anchored by Ninja, Shroud, CouRage, and DrLupo. On average, Hispanics play video games more often than Non-Hispanics (12 hours per week vs. 9 hours for Non-Hispanics), according to a 2014 Think Now Research study.
- JBL is expanding its presence among NBA players and teams. In addition to welcoming back champion Stephen Curry, NBA All Star Andre Drummond and Kristaps Porzingis, JBL is adding Giannis Antetokounmpo as an ambassador. The brand also announced a partnerships with the Chicago Bulls and Miami Heat starting during the 2018-2019 season.