What: We looked at the sports websites with the highest amount of Latin American (and particularly Mexican) visitors in January 2018.
Why it matters: A significant percentage of Latin Americans devotes time to consuming sports content online. Interestingly, two of the top three sites are based in Brazil.
Sports are a big deal worldwide, but there is perhaps no place with more enthusiasm for certain events (i.e. soccer matches) than Latin America. We have analyzed comScore rankings of the most-visited sports websites during January in this region paying special attention to Mexico, and we found several interesting pieces of information.
Top 10 Sports Websites in Latin America, January 2018
|Fuente: Total Audience, PC/Laptop||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet : Total Audience||191,289|
|8||Jornal Extra – Esportes||2,139|
|10||Perform Sports – Goal Sites||1,833|
- From the total amount of internet users in Latin America, 24.7% looked for sports content online.
- The Brazilian website Globo Esportes received 20.7% of those visitors.
- MSN Sports was visited by 14% of Latin American sports-content users.
- 9.8% of visitors looked for sports content on another Brazilian website: UOL Esporte.
- As sites, focused on different Latin American countries, received 6.8% of visitors, with Desafío Mundial close behind with 6.6%.
- ESPN is in 6th place, with 5.3%, and not far behind on the 7th position is Marca, with 5.1%.
- Another Brazilian website, Jornal Extra Esportes, received 4.5% of visitors.
- 4.2% of viewers chose Argentinian website OLE.COM.AR.
- At the bottom of the list, with 3.8%, are Perform Sports – Goal Sites.
Top 10 Sports Websites in Mexico, January 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop, All smartphones, All Tablets||Total Unique Visitors/Viewers (000)|
|Total Digital Population|
|Total Internet : Total Audience||68,613|
|7||Televisa Deportes (Site)||1,536|
|9||NFL Internet Group||932|
- [Source: comScore]
- A significant 29.3% of total internet users looked for sports content online in January 2018.
- 19% of those sports-content consumers visited MEDIOTIEMPO.COM
- ESPN was on the second position in the ranking, with 18.5% of visits.
- As and Marca sites received very similar numbers of views: 14.2% and 14.1% respectively.
- 10.4% of Mexican viewers visited RECORD looking for sports content.
- MSN Sports, the top second website in the overall Latin American ranking, received 9.1% of views in Mexico.
- Televisa Deportes and Minute Media are almost tied in the seventh and eighth positions of the ranking, with 7.6% and 7.5% of views.
- 4.6% of Mexican sports-content viewers visited the NFL Internet Group.
- JUANFUTBOL.COM received 4.4% of visits.