A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Uefa is planning to launch its own over-the-top (OTT) streaming service. The new platform will also focus on giving additional exposure to categories other than men’s soccer, such as the women’s game and futsal. Uefa’s flagship club competitions the Champions League and Europa League will remain in the hands of major broadcasters which account for much of the governing body’s revenue. “It is not ready yet, but we are building our own OTT platform to really go beyond the current content,” stated Uefa’s marketing director Guy-Laurent Epstein.
- In the esports business, UEFA is exploring options to launch an official esports tournament that will take place during EURO 2020. The soccer organization is looking for a firms interested in “creating, developing and operating an official esports tournament,” according to Inside World Football. The relevant advertising, marketing, promotion and operation of the E-Sports Tournament will be subject to UEFA’s approval and guidelines,” said UEFA.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- ESPN acquired the Coppa Italia U.S. broadcasting rights. The deal includes the Italian Super Cup, the annual curtain-raising fixture between the reigning Serie A champions and the holders of the Coppa Italia.
- Real Madrid renewed its regional sponsorship agreement with healthcare provider Sanitas until 2021, for three more seasons. The Bupa subsidiary will continue to provide medical expertise, treatment and specialist healthcare technology.
- The Uefa Europa League has extended its sponsorship deal with delivery company Fedex Express. The company will now become an official sponsor of the competition until the end of the 2020/21 season.
- Major League Soccer locked in long-term broadcast partnerships with four networks in the US and Canada. Univision, ESPN, TSN, and TVA Sports will carry the first annual Campeones Cup, the new competition between the league champions of MLS and Liga MX.