A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- English soccer club Arsenal has terminated its contract with MP & Silva amidst reports that the international media rights agency is in a ‘state of paralysis’. The club will now sell their media rights for the 2018/19 season directly with global broadcasters.
- Tottenham Hotspur has named German automaker Audi as its official car partner. As part of the four-year agreement, the car company will see its iconic four-ring logo feature on digital signage and perimeter LED boards at Spurs’ new stadium. The company’s branding will also be featured on the club’s social media platforms and in-stadium screens.
- Spain’s LaLiga and Relevent announced a 15-year, equal joint venture to promote soccer in the US and Canada. As part of the agreement, LaLiga plans to bring regular season games to the United States. LaLiga North America is looking to promote soccer culture in the US and Canada by leveraging the league’s assets.
Also read Beyond Friendly; La Liga Takes a Bold Next Step for the Business of American Soccer
- OTT ESPN+ has signed a multi-year deal to become the exclusive rights holder of the FA Cup. The financial terms of the agreement have not been disclosed, but it will see the OTT platform provide live coverage of 79 matches from English club soccer’s premier knockout tournament.
Uruguayan soccer star Luis Suarez has locked Adidas as his sportswear sponsor. The deal has been set at UK£1 million per year.
- Facebook has secured rights to broadcast some UEFA Champions League games in Spanish-speaking Latin American territories until 2021. The social network will live stream for free 32 live matches each season, including the final and UEFA Super Cup.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- Expedia Group has become the official travel partner of the Champions League, for the next three years. The deal will see the travel platform’s Expedia and Hotels.com brands receive exposure across Champions League stadiums from this season until the end of the 2020/21 campaign. The agreement also grants the company sponsorship rights for the Uefa Super Cup.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has become DAZN first global ambassador. The two-and-a-half-year deal will see the Juventus player promote DAZN across its current live markets, including Germany, Italy, Canada and Japan.
- Liverpool has partnered with denim clothing brand Levi’s. The long-term deal will see a music studio open in Liverpool in November to provide youngsters from the local community the chance to develop their musical abilities, culminating in a performance at the Sound City music festival in May 2019.
- German newspaper Bild has embedded a feature that turns pictures in the paper into 30-second clips when readers hover over them with their smartphone. This way, soccer fans will now be able to watch videos of Germany’s top league matches.