A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- The Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) has locked a multi-year partnership with AT&T, as the first non-apparel partner of the league to have its logo featured on the team’s jersey. AT&T will also be the title sponsor of the annual WNBA All-Star Game, gaining on-court logo placement, signage, and unique activation opportunities.
- Combate Americas will have an MMA event at Stockton Arena on May 10, carried on television in Spanish in the U.S. on both Univision and UDN at midnight, as well as in English in the US and Canada on DAZN at 10p. Women’s flyweight Zoila “The Warrior Princess” Frausto will fight an opponent to be announced soon. “We are bringing Combate Americas’ style of Mucha Más Acción to the city of Stockton for the first time ever with some of our sport’s worst men and women, beginning with Zoila Frausto, who exemplifies the essence of a world-class fighter and proud Latina,” said Combate Americas CEO Campbell McLaren.
Subscribe to Portada’s weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- English Rugby Football League (RFL) is expanding in North America with teams from New York and Ottawa entering the league structure in 2020. Representatives from New York and Ottawa presented their proposals at a meeting of RFL clubs on 11th April.
- Chipotle announced a partnership with ESL and DreamHack to launch the Chipotle Challenger Series, “a unique onsite amateur esports competition that gives attendees at DreamHack Dallas and DreamHack Atlanta the opportunity to compete in the world’s most popular game titles for prizes.” The deal also sees Chipotle serve as an official partner of DreamHack Masters Dallas as well as as the presenting partner of DreamHack Open Atlanta with an additional presence at of ESL’s Intel Extreme Masters (IEM) Chicago. Activations will also include player and VIP hospitality programs and digital content surrounding the events.
- The NBA, the International Basketball Federation, and the Latvian Basketball Association announced that the 18th edition of Basketball Without Borders Europe will be held June 9-12 at Elektrum Olympic Center in Riga, Latvia, marking the first time that the NBA and FIBA’s global basketball development and community outreach program will be held in Latvia. NIKE, a global partner of BWB since 2002, will outfit the campers and coaches with NIKE apparel and footwear.