A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- NASCAR presented the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs in Las Vegas. To celebrate the start of the sport’s postseason and engage fans, the festivities center around three major events: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs Media Day; NASCAR Burnout Blvd Fueled by Sunoco, and a two-day Playoffs Party at Fremont Street Experience. According to 2011 data, 20% of NASCAR’s followers are multicultural fans, 9% were Hispanic and 8% African-American.
- MLB and USA Baseball announced a new high school baseball tournament designed to showcase some of the best rising seniors from Texas and California. “States Play,” co-hosted by the Texas Rangers, will center on a three-game series at Globe Life Park in Arlington, from Aug. 24-26. Each game will stream LIVE on MLB.com, and access to Globe Life will be free for the public. 31% of MLB players are Latino, according to ESPN.
- Razer inked a strategic partnership to become the official phone and headset provider for Tribe Gaming, a top mobile esports organization in North America. The deal includes an eight-episode docuseries to be released by the end of 2018. According to a 2014 Think Now Research study Hispanic gamers buy and rent video games more often than Non-Hispanics.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- One month after suspending their relation with Papa John’s, after the pizza brand’s founder John Schnatter made some racist comments, the New York Yankees have restored their partnership, and will sell its products again at the Yankee Stadium.
- The NFL team Los Angeles Chargers announced telecommunications company Rokit as their official wireless partner. As part of the multi-year agreement, the firm also becomes the title sponsor of the team’s stadium, Rokit Field at StubHub Center.
- NBA franchises owned by the Los Angeles Lakers, Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks and Minnesota Timberwolves will join its NBA 2K League esports competition in 2019. The four expansion teams will join an existing roster of 17 NBA teams which participated in this year’s inaugural 2k League season, which got underway in May and will conclude with its first ever finals event on 25th August.