Portada’s Latin American Advertising & Media Summit kicked off Tuesday afternoon with a keynote presentation -and interview- with Claudio Ferreira, the publisher of Veja Magazine, the world’s second largest magazine after Time and one of dozens of titles published by Brazil’s Grupo Abril.
Ferreira warned the audience: “My Portuguese is better than my English,” and so he proceded to present entirely in Portuguese. The panel was simultaneously translated into English.
During a one-hour presentation, Ferreira presented some staggering statistics about Brazil’s economic power as the world’s fifth largest economy and highlighted opportunities for brand marketers surrounding the upcoming Olympic Games and the all-too-important FIFA World Cup in 2014.
“We are about to surpass England as the 5th largest advertising spender in the world,” said Ferreira. “I’m sure the Queen is not going to be very happy about that. All we have to do now is win the world cup.”
Among Brazil’s fun facts presented by Ferreira:
- Sao Paulo is the only capital in the world with more than one Tiffany store
- Brazil has 264 million mobile phones; 16.1 million of those are Smartphones
- Brazil is now #7 in number of international events hosted per year…. 3.6 million tourists are expected to this year’s Confederations Cup
- Veja is the world’s 2nd largest weekly news magazine (after @Time)
- Veja’s parent company, Grupo Abril, launched 52 apps in 2013; 3.8 million downloads…. Grupo Abril