What: We looked at the sites where Latin Americans, and particularly Mexicans, went looking for possible online purchases in March 2018.
Why it matters: Even though Amazon is making great efforts to expand in Latin America, the retail giant is still way far behind Mercadolibre, always the leader of online shopping in the region.
As we saw in previous editions of this ranking, Amazon had already approached MercadoLibre and was comfortably sitting in the second spot. However, Latin American internet users preferred B2W Digital for online purchases in March, and so now Amazon has moved to the third spot. However, the difference in user amounts is not that high; Amazon could get closer to MercadoLibre in the following months.
Top 10 E-Commerce Sites in Latin America, March 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop.||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||184,772|
|7||Apple.com Worldwide Sites||8,224|
- [Source: comScore]
- 64% of Latin Americans with an internet connection visited e-commerce sites in March, 2% more than February.
- MercadoLibre is still the clear winner. With 48% of visits, it remains stable at the first spot.
- B2W Digital received 18.4% of visits; very similarly, 18.3% of users went to Amazon.
- 12.6% of Latin American internet users looking for online shopping visited Alibaba.com Corporation.
- eBay was visited by 8.3% of users.
- 7.6% of online shoppers visited CNova.
- Apple.com received 6.9% of visits, while Walmart was seen by 6.5% of users.
- 6% of online shoppers went to Google Shopping.
- Appearing in the list for the first time, Gearbest.com received 5.4% of visits.
Top 10 E-Commerce Sites in Mexico, March 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop, All smartphones, All Tablets.||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||68,613|
- Out of the total number of Mexicans with an internet connection, 63% visited e-commerce sites in March.
- 40% of those users visited MercadoLibre.
- 21.7% of internet users looking for e-commerce possibilities went to Amazon.
- eBay received 19.4% of visits, while Walmart was seen by 18.5% of users.
- Linio Sites received 17.7% of visits.
- 9.1% of users visited Wish.com, while 8.8% went to Coppel.com.
- Ticketmaster received 8.2% of visits.
- Alibaba was seen by 8% of users.
- 6% of users visited Samsung Group.