Mariano Rivera World Tour Apparel Collection will be launched by Bleacher Report to honor the Panamanian-American former professional baseball pitcher. Here you’ll find a weekly summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you’re trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop-shop.
- Bleacher Report is launching the Mariano Rivera World Tour Apparel Collection. The collection includes two designs in short and long sleeve: Unanimous World Tour and Save New York – featuring locations for all of his 652 saves during the Panamanian-American former professional baseball pitcher’s career and designed by contemporary Latino pop artist and native New Yorker, M. Tony Peralta.
- Major League Baseball (MLB) is considering allowing sponsorship patches on its teams’ uniforms within three years. According to the Sports Business Journal (SBJ), the MLB has seen the NBA’s jersey branding success and is interested in following its lead. The deals bring in an average of US$7 million a year per team. Van Wagner Sports & Entertainment confirmed to the SBJ that some MLB franchises have been approaching the sports agency for evaluations of the potential new inventory.
- Last week MLB and YouTube had their first exclusive broadcast as partners. It saw over 200,000 concurrent viewers at peak of the Phillies’ win over the Dodgers, according to Google. The game also saw more than 2 million views on the league’s official channel.
- Social broadcasting service Caffeine has become the streaming partner to the US League of Legends Championship Series (LCS). Caffeine will host the official LCS broadcast every weekend. This will include the remainder of the 2019 Summer Split regular season, the LCS playoffs, finals, and regional qualifiers.
Subscribe to Portada’s weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- UFC and Blackheart Premium Spiced Rum have extended their multi-year marketing partnership. The spirits brand will continue to offer fan experiences and will have a branded presence inside the Octagon during key UFC events. Blackheart will also have a presence on UFC’s official Instagram as the presenting sponsor of select “Shot of the Night”.
- ‘UFC Arabia’ has become the first Arabic language UFC streaming platform in the MENA region. Fans in the region’s 21 countries will now have access to exclusively live stream events as well as a range of fight videos. “We are very excited to welcome back UFC to Abu Dhabi. We are thrilled to allow all passionate fans in the UAE, and MENA, a chance to exclusively live stream all UFC events. This step reaffirms our commitment to bringing all major sports to our viewers in the region,” said Abdulrahman Awadh Al Harthi, Executive Director of Television at Abu Dhabi Media.
- Univision Deportes has officially rebranded as TUDN, after sealing its cross-border partnership with Mexico’s Grupo Televisa. TUDN is the channel’s new name, with TUDN branding also running across sports telecasts on Univision Network, UniMás, Galavisión and across their audio and digital platforms. Televisa and Univision will also be sharing programming and talent.
- The World Series of Boxing might be disappearing soon, according to a report from Inside the Games. The organization has indefinitely suspended its activities and could disband after the International Boxing Association confirmed it could not fulfill its agreement with the competition’s main investor. Only a significant investment could save the organization at this point.