Engaging customers in a multi-channel world is one of the most challenging tasks for brand marketing decision makers today. According to a study conducted by Salesforce, 27% of retail and consumer goods marketers describe their channel coordination as generally siloed. Effective multi-channel marketing is a key discussion point at Portada Council System meetings. Learn how leading brand marketers in Portada’s Council System find solutions to multi-channel marketing challenges.
– According to a study conducted by Salesforce, 27% of retail and consumer goods marketers describe their channel coordination as generally siloed, and 33% describe it as dynamically coordinated.
– Only 9% of marketers currently engage customers across multiple channels on a consistent basis (DMA/ANA).
– Compared to single-channel shoppers, customers engaging in multi-channel strategies spend 3x more. (Pure360)
Three Multi-Channel Marketing Challenges for Portada Council System Members
1. Choosing the right channel(s)
Understanding the right channel for individual consumers depending on factors including demographics. We have to serve our customers in the channels they want to be served.
Related comment: “Although customers are multi-channel, one platform made them pull the trigger”
Practical example: If a company only offers a call center as a means of customer service, it excludes all the customers who prefer fully digital transactions over interacting with phone operators.
2. Having channel-agnostic customer engagement tracking technology
Having advanced technology to track the consumer through different platforms while delivering the same message and service quality independent from which channel is being used.
Related comment: We only track consumers’ behavior online, but we can’t track their offline activity.
3. Adapt messaging across various channels for delivering a consistent consumer experience
People interpret the message differently according to each channel. Platforms should be handled in the right way.
If you are interested in joining the Portada Council System, our year-round knowledge sharing and networking platform, find out more here or contact us here if you are marketing services supplier and here if you are a brand marketer.
Four Solutions Suggested by Portada Council System Members for Better Engaging Your Customer in a Multi-Channel World
1. Make sure technology is on your side. New tools are there; they should be an enabler, not a barrier
Take your multi-channel customers to the cloud so that all touchpoints converge there. Whether online, on the phone, or at the kiosk, all the data is on the cloud.
2. Use attribution models. Make sure you know where clients are really coming from
Get to know your customer by looking at their behavior and offer an experience that really fits their lifestyle persona.
3. Look at customer purchases and service requests as two different models
We should not mix the two messages; one is selling and another is customer service.
Practical Example: An airline knows when a passenger has had a bad experience during their previous flight. A flight-attendant has the information about this passenger on a subsequent flight and offers an apology.
Caveat: AI can help, but bear in mind privacy issues. (AI like Alexa listens to private conversations to generate purchase intent)
4. Make sure consumers know that the brand is a long-term provider
Make sure the customer knows that we as providers can actually take into account their lifelong value as a customer, unlike intermediaries which are entirely price-driven.