What: We looked at the top 15 online retail sites visited by shoppers in the US and how they scored in number of visitors in May 2018.
Why it matters: Wal-Mart’s hard-fought effort to build an online presence has put it ahead of eBay in the number of online visitors. The Bentonville, Arkansas brick-and-mortar retailer surged ahead of eBay by nearly 5,000 visitors in May, 2018. But the e-commerce behemoth Amazon still leads by nearly double the number of monthly online visitors compared to traditional retailer Wal-Mart.
|Number of visitors to the Top 15 e-commerce sites in the US, May 2018|
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop||949,169|
|Site||Total Unique Visitors|
|Apple.com Worldwide sites||67,102|
|The Home Depot||49,499|
|Best Buy sites||34,142|
- Amazon led the field with 21.5% of all online visitors in May
- Wal-Mart (12.5% of all online visitors) and eBay (11%) are competing neck-in-neck to be Amazon’s closest online competitor
- eBay dropped behind Wal-Mart by just under 5,000 visitors for a second-place finish
- Apple took fourth place with 7% of all online visitors for the month
- After Apple, Target took 5th place with 6.4% of all visits in May
- Big-box Target has nearly double the visitors of Macy’s
- Home Depot has powered ahead of Lowe’s by more than 10,000 monthly visitors in May, proving to be online shoppers’ favorite in the home improvement category