The study reveals insights about a range of Hispanic media habits, purchase planning and content interests.
The study shows Spanish remains the preferred language across media for obtaining news information. Although Spanish-language TV has the strongest usage of all media, Spanish-language newspapers are also very popular – almost 70% of Hispanics read Spanish-language newspapers frequently or occasionally.
“Most interesting, the study reported that Hispanics turn to newspapers first for local advertising.” Digby Solomon Diez, Publisher of Hoy, noted. “The study also confirmed that Spanish-language newspapers are the primary source for Hispanics when they plan a purchase.”
Hoy commissioned this study with TNS Market Development. More than 3,000 interviews with self-identified Hispanics, Spanish dominant or bilingual, ages 18 to 64, were held in Los Angeles, New York and Chicago, in their language of preference.
Newspapers were found to be credible sources with Hispanic consumers. When asked about content and advertising interests, the survey established Hispanics have a strong interest in family/lifestyle information and local news. In addition, grocery and discount store ads were most important to respondents who read newspaper ads.
Other findings include:
Most Important Ads in Newspapers
• Women are more likely than men to consider ads that promote consumer packaged goods as most important.
• Job listings, clothing, and cell phones top the list for respondents 18-24 years old.
• Males have more interest than women in car and cellular/wireless ads.
Type of Items Looked for in Newspaper Ads/Inserts
• Sale items are looked for most often in both newspaper ads and inserts.
• Pictures of items for sale are also popular, as well as easy to compare prices in inserts.
• Older respondents prefer newspaper ads that have detail or with a coupon attached, along with inserts.
Interest in Specific Topics
• Men are more interested in sports and business than women who hold more interest in family, advertisements, travel, and entertainment news.
• Respondents have the same level of interest in international news, regardless of acculturation level.
• On average, respondents attended two community events in the past year.
Frequency of Newspaper Usage
• Among those who read newspaper advertisements, ads are generally clipped or referred to once a week or less.
• Readers spend almost 27 minutes reading an average weekday issue of Hoy.