The U.S. Hispanic population continues to boom according to new 2010 U.S. Census data as digested by Univision Insights. The latest figures released for Florida, Georgia, Montana, New Mexico, Kentucky, Alaska, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Tennessee show:

  • Hispanics contributed nearly 55 percent of the population growth in Florida. The Hispanic population is growing six times faster than non-Hispanics in the state.
  • The Hispanic population in Georgia grew 96 percent in the last decade. Hispanics are the fastest growing demographic in the state.
  • In Montana, the Hispanic population is growing seven times faster than non-Hispanics in the state. In the last 10 years, the Hispanic population in the state grew 58 percent.
  • Hispanics in New Mexico accounted for 78 percent of the growth.
  • The Hispanic population in Kentucky more than doubled in the last decade.
  • In Alaska, the Hispanic population grew about 52 percent since Census 2000. Among Hispanic population growth in the state, Adults 18+ accounted for 66 percent of Hispanic growth in the state while Hispanics under 18 contributed the remaining 34 percent of the growth.
  • In Minnesota, the Hispanic population grew nearly 75 percent since Census 2000.
  • The Hispanic population in North Dakota grew 73 percent since Census 2000. 1 out of every 5 individuals added to the total population in the state is of Hispanic origin.
  • In Tennessee, the Hispanic population more than doubled in the last decade.

Based on the aggregation of the population residing on the 42 states released thus far by Census:

  • Hispanic population growth is exceeding the most recent Census estimates by 4.3 percent.
  • More than 45 million Hispanics in the 42 states released as of 3-17-11.
  • Hispanics contributed 54 percent of the overall population growth in those states.
  • From Census 2000-2010, the Hispanic population in these states grew by 45 percent.
  • Hispanics are growing four times faster than the total U.S. population.

More than 14 million “new Hispanics” were added to the population of the 42 states released by Census, compared to 11.8 million “new non-Hispanics” added to the residents of the 42 states released by Census in 2000.

Portada published US Census results previously for California,  Nevada, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Alabama, Hawaii and Missouri; Louisiana, Mississippi, New Jersey and Virginia, Texas, Illinois, South Dakota and Oklahoma and Nebraska, North Carolina, Delaware, Kansas and Wyoming.

As analysts interviewed by Portada predicted in our recently published Special 2010 Census Results Preview Issue, Emerging Hispanic Markets, or states that are not part of  the top 10 Hispanic markets by population size are growing particularly fast (see the results for Georgia above, for instance).

Portada’s Emerging Hispanic Markets Forum to be celebrated in New York City on Sept. 21, 2011 will examine the case for marketing to Hispanics in regions that are not part of the top 5 Hispanic markets. These markets include states such as: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South – North Carolina and Utah In addition, DMA’s that are often eclipsed by major neighboring metropolis will be analyzed (e.g.: Orange County, CA, Riverside, CA and Hoboken, NJ.).

The Forum will bring together major NYC and North East based clients and agencies with media executives and agencies that have a strong presence in emerging Hispanic markets. Make sure to register!


Write A Comment

Get our e-letters packed with news and intelligence!