TYSONS, Va.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) today announced it has been named a 2022 honoree of The Civic 50 by Points of Light and the Telecommunications Sector Leader. The Civic 50 honors the most community-minded companies in the United States. 2022 marks TEGNA’s third consecutive year on the list.
“Local broadcast stations play an important role in the communities we serve, which has been especially evident these last three years,” said Dave Lougee, president and CEO, TEGNA. “Our stations have sought to address pressing local issues working with nonprofits in their communities to address mental health and wellness, hunger, homelessness, education, sustainability and support programs to unite communities by advancing diversity, equity and community well-being.”
Today, the TEGNA Foundation also announced it has awarded 145 Community Grants in 31 local markets in partnership with its stations. A summary of 2022 TEGNA Foundation Community Grants to-date is available here.
The majority of Round 1 TEGNA Foundation Community Grants support the following UN Sustainable Development Goal (UN SDG) areas: Good Health and Well-Being (48%); Quality Education (27%); and Zero Hunger (16%). Other UN SDG goals supported are: Decent Work and Economic Growth (4%); Reduced Inequality (2%); No Poverty (1%); Life Below Water (1%); and Life on Land (1%).
Within these categories, several causes stand out as areas particularly significant to the communities where TEGNA does business, including:
- KARE (Minneapolis): Nine grants supporting hunger relief, emergency assistance, and quality education, which provide support to A Spark of Possibilities, Community Engagement Services, Cornerstone Advocacy Service, Emerge Mothers Academy, HandsOn Twin Cities, Mobile Hope, St. Stephens Human Services, The Aliveness Project, and The Sanneh Foundation.
- KFMB (San Diego): Four grants, including a grant to I Love a Clean San Diego County to support Kid’s Ocean Day, a beach clean-up day that includes lessons on water conservation, pollution prevention and watershed protection for 800 local students.
- KPNX (Phoenix): Seven grants, including a grant to Diversity Leadership Alliance, which provides a forum for diversity and inclusion dialogue.
- KSDK (St. Louis): Ten grants focused on quality education and community development, to mark the station’s 75th anniversary, and provide support for 100 Black Men, 4theVille, Epsilon Lambda Charitable Foundation, Good Journey Development Foundation, Henrose Cares, Navigate STL Schools, St. Louis Artworks, St. Louis Association of Community Organizations, The Sophia Project, and The Access Foundation.
- WUSA (Washington): Ten grants supporting at-risk youth and community well-being that provide support for A Wider Circle, After-School All-Stars, Breast Care for Washington, Competitive Edge Eq, Enterprise Community Development, Girls on the Run of NOVA, Nourish Now, and One Common Unity.
- WXIA /11Alive & MyAtlTV (Atlanta): Ten grants, including three grants to support community-wide hunger relief efforts for families and seniors through Meals on Wheels Atlanta, The Salvation Army, and YMCA of Metropolitan Atlanta.
TEGNA Community Grants are vetted by a committee of employees at each station, including the station general manager, and approved by the TEGNA Foundation Board of Directors. Stations also amplify the impact of the TEGNA Foundation’s charitable contributions through reporting and employee volunteerism.
More information about TEGNA’s Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) initiatives and reporting can be found in our 2021 Social Responsibility Highlights report. To learn more and/or apply for a TEGNA Foundation Community Grant, visit TEGNAfoundation.org.
About TEGNA Foundation
The TEGNA Foundation is a corporate foundation sponsored by TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA), an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Through its programs, TEGNA Foundation helps to improve lives in the communities served by TEGNA Inc., invests in the future of the media industry, encourages employee giving and contributes to a variety of charitable causes. For more information visit TEGNAfoundation.org.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network, Twist and Quest. TEGNA offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
For media inquiries:
Vice President, Corporate Communications
For investor inquiries:
Senior Vice President, Financial Planning & Analysis