YouTube is the leading platform for esports videos on demand (VOD), according to 2019 data provided by Stream Hatchet. Meanwhile, Facebook is the number one go-to platform for users consuming mobile streaming. This monthly esports data column provides a quick update of the most important esports consumption behavior, particularly as is relates to streaming.
For prior esports updates, click here.
The most relevant findings of Stream Hatchet‘s 2019 Game Streaming Report
- In terms of VOD, YouTube has shown to be the most relevant platform. “As the ‘streaming wars’ heat up, they have the opportunity to be the one-stop-shop for all video gaming content,” the study states.
- Facebook seems to also have found a strong footing in the esports streaming market. The social media platform has taken over the mobile streaming audience while leaving the fight over the same viewers on PC to Twitch, YouTube and Mixer.
- Still, Twitch continues to be the platform that gets the highest amount of hours watched. The Amazon owned streaming platform has a share of more than 70% of the total Western streaming market.
- For a long time now, Fortnite has been the most dominant game for streamers in the market. This game seems to have created a very loyal following audience similar to popular titles like CS:GO and League of Legends.
- Not to far from there, League of Legends has managed to maintain a consistent viewership throughout the year in terms of casual, league and tournament viewership. This continues to show that this title has incredible longevity and tailwinds behind it.
“2019 was a very successful year for the game with record-setting World Championship in terms of viewership. And with interest in the game increasing with Riot Games’ announcement of the release of new games related to the League of Legends universe on the game’s tenth anniversary,” stated Yoshio Osaki, President / CEO at IDGConsulting.
- Both games have found their strengths and manage to keep exploiting them. League of Legends consistently puts on high-quality tournaments and competitions that keep the game popular in the community while Fortnite has created a game that allows streamers to be content creators which adds a viral element to the game.