The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Mexico’s channel TV Azteca and esports entertainment company Allied Esports are planning to create a 24-hour digital channel dedicated to esports and gaming. They are planning to build a competition arena and content studios. This major, new investment in the Mexican esports market is part of a larger deal. Black Ridge Acquisition Corp will acquire Allied Esports and TV Azteca will become a shareholder. “Continuing to expand our footprint around the world with like-minded leaders and innovators is imperative to our success. We are delighted to partner with TV Azteca as we enter Latin America with a smart, aggressive plan,” Frank Ng, co-CEO of Ourgame, stated.
- The UFC is opening of a new production facility in Las Vegas, designed to host multiple sports, music, and esports events, as well as original UFC Fight Pass productions. The UFC Apex facility will open its doors on June 18th. It will host the premiere of ESPN’s third installment of Dana White’s Contender Series. “UFC Apex is going to be a massive game changer for combat sports and for UFC,” said Dana White, UFC’s president. “This facility gives us the flexibility to try new things and push the envelope on producing and distributing combat sports all over the world.
- Master Card is planning several promotions around the MLB two-game set between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox at The London Stadium at Queen Elizabeth Park on June 29-30. The finances company is offering 30-minute advance access to the London Series Superstore and also early admission to the Hall of Fame suite. In addition, ahead of the second game, fans can take batting practice on the field.
Subscribe to Portada’s weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- YouTube and the MLB presented the first three matchups for their newest live game streaming distribution partnership: The MLB Game of the Week Live on YouTube. The opening lineup includes Dodgers/Phillies on July 18, Indians/Blue Jays on July 23 and Tigers/Angels on July 29.
- Minor League Baseball is launching a new content series together with TeamWorks Media, to expand the scope and reach of MiLB’s Copa de la Diversion program. MiLB and La Vida Baseball are producing two weekly dedicated shows of La Vida Baseball Live, the daily four-hour show produced and formatted for every major social media platform to tell the story of the teams involved.
- Mexico’s Lucha Libre AAA wrestlers will be “Invading LA” at The Forum in Los Angeles on October 13 starting at 6p. “By adding the October 13th date, we can reach even more fans in the United States. We are excited to be bringing our world-renowned luchadores to the world-famous Forum in Los Angeles,” stated Dorian Roldán, Managing Director of Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide. “The theme for these events is Invading the U.S.A and our luchadores are ready to invade New York and LA.”
Ximena Cassab @xcassab
Ximena is a Swiss-Mexican journalist based in Mexico City where she specialized in business, and travel topics. Graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), she has worked as an editor at the magazines Expansión , Aire and Accent, from Expansion Group. Currently she is working with different media in Spanish and English independently. She is a passionate traveler who does not miss the opportunity to see a new place in the world.