Consumer Insights Roundup: Millennials Subscribing to More Gaming Services Than TV, Only 1 Out of 5 Consumers Have Made Voice-Powered Purchases…
What: A summary of the most relevant consumer insight research in the U.S., U.S. Hispanic, and Latin American markets.
Why it matters: If you're trying to keep up with the latest happenings, this is your one-stop shop.
- According to Zenith's Media Consumption Forecasts, people around the world will spend an average of 800 hours using the mobile internet this year. By 2021 the total will rise to 930 hours, or the equivalent to 39 full days. Across the 57 countries that were surveyed, people will spend a collective 3.8 trillion hours using the mobile internet this year, rising to 4.5 trillion hours in 2021.
- FinTech adoption among consumers has nearly doubled over the past 18 months, according to the latest EY Global FinTech Adoption Index. Globally, 64% of digitally-active consumers across 27 markets use FinTech. US consumer adoption has grown 29.5% in the last four years, and 96% of global consumers are aware of at least one money transfer and payment FinTech service.
- Mobile marketing company Motive expected 77% of Americans to celebrate Fathers Day, spending about US $16 million on gifts. It's likely that most fathers got clothing (43%), giftcards (42%), and books & CD's (22%).
- Research by Accenture found more than half of consumers said they would pay more for sustainable products designed to be reused or recycled. The survey of 6,000 consumers in 11 countries across North America, Europe, and Asia found that while consumers remain primarily focused on quality and price, 83% believe it’s important or extremely important for companies to design products that are meant to be reused or recycled. Nearly three-quarters (72%) of respondents said they’re currently buying more environmentally friendly products than they were five years ago, and 81% said they expect to buy more over the next five years.
- Sumo Heavy's survey of more than 1,000 U.S. consumers found that only one out of five consumers have shopped using a voice assistant like Amazon Alexa or Apple's Siri. Less than half (46%) of U.S. consumers said they never use voice assistants, while another third said they rely on them regularly. Fewer than half (42%) of frequent voice assistant users have shopped with voice commands.
- According to a survey by Deloitte, about 53% of people born between 1983 and 1996 now subscribe to gaming services, versus 51% who pay for television. That is compared with Deloitte's survey last year, in which paid subscriptions among millennials were 44% for video games and 52% for television.
- UBS Evidence Lab's survey of 2,029 adult consumers who visited a fast-casual restaurant at least once a month found that McDonald’s is the best positioned among its peers. According to the survey, the most commonly cited reasons to visit McDonalds more often are good value and promotions. Only 18% of respondents said that nothing would make them go more. Burger King and Wendy's were ranked in second and third place, respectively.
Janet Grynberg @grynberg_janet
Janet has worked as editor and translator since 2013. After graduating with honors when receiving her Bachelor's Degree in English literature, she began working as a book reviewer for Expansión, the leading business magazine in Mexico. She has also worked as editor of young adult literature for publishing houses like Planeta and Penguin, and she's the author of a book of short stories. She's in the process of getting her MA in English at McGill University. Her interests include arts, good food, and her 8 pets.