The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Sky Sports and Matchroom Boxing locked a deal with the World Boxing Super Series to exclusively broadcast the three Semi-Final doubleheaders throughout the UK starting April 27. “The WBSS is delighted to be working with Sky Sports and Matchroom Boxing to bring our sensational semi-finals to as many UK fans as possible,” said Kalle Sauerland, Chief Boxing Officer of Comosa, the organizer of World Boxing Super Series.
- Starting next season, NBA clubs will be allowed to sell international sponsorship rights (outside the US and Canada), according to the Sports Business Journal (SBJ). The agreement will start with a three-year test of the International Marketing Program. This could permanently end the league’s control of all international sponsorship deals. But, the new model states that sponsors can only use non-game content.
- DAZN partnered with LeBron James’ production company Uninterrupted, to produce and air a new boxing-focused documentary series. With the name “40 Days”, the first edition will center on Mexican boxer and DAZN contractor, Canelo Alvarez. The series will follow Alvarez and American boxer Daniel Jacobs, during their preparation for their highly-anticipated middleweight title fight at Madison Square Gardens on 4th May.
Subscribe to Portada’s weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- ESPN Deportes unveiled a new marketing campaign for its coverage of the Lima 2019 XVIII Pan American Games, featuring Peruvian Latin Grammy recording artist Gian Marco performing “El Triunfo es mi destino.” The spot has been running across ESPN Deportes’ platforms since last week. Various editions of the creative will be distributed across ESPN Deportes’ linear, digital and social channels in the US and Latin America.
- The NBA and the National Basketball Players Association announced that LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers secured the top spots on the NBA’s Most Popular Jersey and Team Merchandise lists. The Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry ranked No. 2 on the player list followed by the Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo (No. 3).
- Last week’s 2019 NFL Draft became the highest-rated and most-watched Draft ever. Overall NFL Draft telecasts combined to reach over 47.5 million viewers over the three-day event, up 5% over 2018 with NFL Network, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN Deportes in addition to NFL and ESPN digital and social properties all carrying the content.
- The Overwatch League locked a deal with AB InBev, making Bud Light the official beer of Overwatch League. The brand will now activate at fan watch parties around the world (excluding China) and will include sponsorship of fan activations when the league hits the road, including last weekend’s events in Dallas, along with Atlanta Bud Light Homestand Weekends and the LA Rivalry Weekend.
Ximena Cassab @xcassab
Ximena is a Swiss-Mexican journalist based in Mexico City where she specialized in business, and travel topics. Graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), she has worked as an editor at the magazines Expansión , Aire and Accent, from Expansion Group. Currently she is working with different media in Spanish and English independently. She is a passionate traveler who does not miss the opportunity to see a new place in the world.