The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Beijing, China, has become home to the NBA’s largest official store outside of North America. In alliance with Nike and Topsports, a leading Chinese sports retailer, the new 1,145 square meter store is will provide Chinese fans with authentic NBA apparel from partners such as Nike, Jordan Brand, as well heritage merchandise from Mitchell & Ness. “Our largest NBA Store outside North America underscores the NBA’s long-standing commitment to serving our fans in China,” said NBA China chief executive, Derek Chang.
- Minor League Baseball, together with Brand Activation Maximizer, launched the “Grilling All-Stars” national retail program, the largest in its history. The program will encompass five national brands and will be activated at select retailers in more than 100 MiLB markets and over 13,000 locations across the country. Brands include BUSH’S Beans, Scott Bath Tissue, Scott Paper Towels, Ball Park Buns and The ORIGINAL Louisiana Brand Hot Sauce.
- MLB FoodFest Presented by Budweiser is returning to the MLB. After having a sold out within 48 hours during its debut in New York in 2018, MLB has expanded FoodFest to three locations across the globe in 2019: Los Angeles, New York, and London. The new edition of MLB FoodFest hits downtown LA from April 26-28 at Magic Box. New York and London will host the much-anticipated event in the second half of the season.
Subscribe to Portada’s weekly Sports Marketing Updates!
- As part of a rights deal with Russian telecommunications company Rostelecom, the UFC has launched UFC TV. Its first-ever dedicated linear channel will be broadcast 24 hours a day across all Russian regions as well as the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). UFC TV will also offer hundreds of hours of original programming, including archived content, interviews, and event reviews.
- Combate Americas is prepping its next live television event, 'Combate de Reinas’, at Galen Center in LA on April 26, with a new equity infusion of $20 million. This will represent “the first time in history that a combat sports event will feature an all-women’s lineup on broadcast television.” Investors included actress Kate Del Castillo, along with Joe Plumeri, Ambassador Cliff Sobel and Irving Place Capital CEO John Howard. Del Castillo will now chair the advisory board, continue the company’s commitment to female empowerment and take on an active leadership role in growing the global MMA sports entertainment brand.
- DAZN launched its biggest marketing campaign presenting the Canelo Alvarez/Daniel Jacobs boxing match set for May 4 in Las Vegas. The full campaign features a 30-second, 15-second and six-second video spots that will run on linear and digital outlets.