The Week in Soccer Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Starting Dec. 12, Telemundo Deportes offers exclusive coverage of the FIFA Club World Cup UAE 2018. Broadcasting will be led by Telemundo Deportes’ Andres Cantor, Manuel Sol, Carlos Hermosillo, Copan Alvarez, Sammy Sadovnik and Eduardo Biscayart.
- Visa has unveiled new deals with the Union of European Football Associations’ (UEFA) Women’s Football Competitions and the Confederation of African Football (CAF) Total Africa Cup of Nations tournament. The deal with the UEFA Women’s Football Competitions runs through 2025 and will see Visa implementing its innovative payment technology at the tournament venues and deliver exclusive experiences for cardholders and clients. The partnership with CAF makes the brand a sponsor of the Total Africa Cup of Nations tournament in 2019 and 2021.
- DAZN has added the Premier League to its Canadian rights portfolio. According to The Province, the streaming platform will carry every game on an exclusive basis for three years from the 2019/20 season.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- FuboTV is expanding into Spain, where it will offer 13 Spanish channels for €3.99 (US$4.55) a month. David Gandler, FuboTV’s CEO, told Reuters that the company favoured Spain because there is a “likely demand for lower-cost streaming services” as a result of the country’s high-rates of video piracy.
- 23 Capital is investing in OTRO, a new digital platform centered in soccer, which has the support of soccer stars such as Lionel Messi, Neymar Jr and David Beckham. The platform will mainly focus on the lifestyles and personalities of the world’s most famous soccer players. The platform will have a free version, and users will also be able to pay US$3.99 a month to access exclusive content.
Join us at PORTADA LOS ANGELES on March 15, 2019 at the Loews Beach Hotel Santa Monica, where we will dive deep into sports and soccer marketing's preeminent topics. Felix Palau, VP Marketing, Heineken will discuss "How to measure ROI and transfer best practices between sports marketing platforms". Other speaking engagements include Tiago Pinto, Global Marketing Director, Gatorade who will provide answers to the question: "Will Corporate America jump on the soccer opportunity?"Attendees will also be able to benefit from Portada's meet-up service of three-eight-minute meetings with top brand executives!
- Los Establos polo grounds at Cap Cana (Dominican Republic) will be for the third year in a row the venue for a new edition of the Barça Academy Las Américas Cup, the competition for FC Barcelona soccer schools all over the Americas. It’s being held from December 14 to 16 and Barça Legend Juliano Belletti will be attending as its patron. In accordance with tradition, three teams from the Barça Escola in Barcelona are also flying out to compete.
- After a lack of consensus between La Liga, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and Fifa, Barcelona has decided not to play a league game against fellow La Liga side Girona in Miami in January. The club’s decision to abort the controversial move came following a meeting of Barcelona’s board of directors.