The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- The NBA has locked a new partnership with Chinese internet technology company ByteDance to deliver its content to fans in China. Through the multi-year deal, ByteDance’s Douyin, Toutiao and Xigua Videoplatforms will stream short-form NBA content ranging from game highlights, behind-the-scenes videos and news delivered straight to the consumers’ phones. Out of China, NBA content will be shared through TikTok, a content house for short-form mobile videos.
- DAZN has added EuroLeague Basketball to its rights portfolio in Spain. The OTT will become the exclusive home of Europe’s premier club basketball competition from the 2019/20 season until the end of the 2022/23 campaign, including includes live matches and clips from the next four seasons of the second-tier 7Days EuroCup.
Join us at PORTADA LOS ANGELES on March 15, 2019, at the Loews Beach Hotel Santa Monica, where we will dive deep into sports and soccer marketing's preeminent topics. Felix Palau, VP Marketing, Heineken will discuss "How to measure ROI and transfer best practices between sports marketing platforms". Other speaking engagements include Tiago Pinto, Global Marketing Director, Gatorade who will provide answers to the question: "Will Corporate America jump on the soccer opportunity?"Attendees will also be able to benefit from Portada's meet-up service of three-eight-minute meetings with top brand executives!
- MGM Resorts has announced a new deal with the MLB which combines the MLB brand with MGM Resorts and plays MGM brands across the league and team sponsorships, data usage in gaming, promotion across MLB-owned media platforms, and domestic and international activations at MLB events. The multiyear agreement designates MGM Resorts as the first-ever "Official Gaming Partner of MLB" and "Official Entertainment Partner of MLB." MGM Resorts already made other recent deals with the NBA and NHL.
- Minor League Baseball locked in an agreement with ECHO Incorporated that will see the brand serve as the “Official Outdoor Power Tool of MiLB” and the “Official Outdoor Power Tool of Copa de la Diversion.” Starting in 2019, in select ballparks, MiLB and its teams will help showcase ECHO’s range of products through pregame “Power Hour presented by ECHO” events to reach potential customers.
- After its 12th week, the NFL is reporting that this season’s games are averaging 15.8 million viewers on TV, up 5% over last year. Also, the football organization reports that the games have accounted for 19 of the top 20 and 46 of the top 50 most-watched shows on television. Week 12 itself averaged 20.3 million viewers, up 15% over week 12 in 2017.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!