The Week in Soccer Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Alipay, a Chinese payment platform, locked an eight-year sponsorship deal with UEFA to serve as the men’s national team football sponsor from 2018 until 2026, including UEFA EURO 2020 and 2024 and the UEFA Nations League finals. Alipay’s first four-year cycle as a UEFA national team competitions sponsor will be present in a total of eight competitions.
- Electronic Arts and UEFA launched the eChampions League, a pivotal tournament expansion to the EA Sports FIFA 19 Global Series. This represents a new way for fans to connect to the UEFA Champions League through the competition. Eligible competitors will compete on PlayStation 4 and participate in eChampions League Global Online Knockout tournaments from March 2-3, with the top 64 players advancing to a live qualifying event on April 26-27. The eChampions League Final will be played a day before the real-world UEFA Champions League Final and will be hosted in Madrid on May 31.
- Fifa has extended its partnership with the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) for four more years. The ‘other Fifa events’ deal covers 13 international soccer tournaments in 38 territories until 2022, including next year’s Fifa Women’s World Cup in France.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- After three months work, FC Cincinnati presented its brand identity, in alliance with Interbrand. The club’s Orange and Blue color scheme remains in “brighter and bolder” tones, with a new crest developed as a representative of the city.
- DAZN is entering the Brazilian and Latin-American market after securing media rights for two major European soccer leagues. According to SportBusiness, the OTT platform is trying to get the rights to Italy’s Serie A and France’s Ligue 1 in both regions, which are currently owned by IMG and BeIN Media Group respectively.
- Telemundo Deportes is planning to get the exclusive coverage of the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup Uruguay 2018, the sixth edition of the biennial international women’s youth soccer championship featuring 16 teams competing for the title. All the matches will be presented live on Universo and the Telemundo Deportes EN VIVO app.
The Portada Brand-Sports Summit in Los Angeles on March 15, 2019 (Hotel Loews Santa Monica) will provide a unique setting for brand marketers to learn about the opportunities sports and soccer content offers to engage consumers in the U.S. and Latin America.
- The English Premier League signed a six-year partnership extension with Nike. The sports brand will remain a key partner until at least 2025.
- Minnesota United has announced a partnership with technology provider VenueNext to introduce digital ticketing at their new Allianz Field home. The MLS team be able to start playing in its new home stadium for the start of the 2019 MLS season in March, and their deal with VenueNext will see them create a digital ticketing platform for all events at the stadium.