The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- ESPN will launch a year-long, multi-platform storytelling experience in 2019 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of college football. The platform will include two weekly documentary series, The American Game, which will hit the screen on Tuesdays starting Sept. 17, 2019.
- American sports brand New Balanced locked a multi-year endorsement contract with 14-year-old tennis star Cori “CoCo” Gauff. Just one year ago, Gauff became the youngest girl to make a U.S. Open girls final. In 2018 Gauff became the fifth-youngest winner of the French Open girls’ tournament in June 2018.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- Nike signed an endorsement deal with Chinese League of Legends player Jian ‘Uzi’ Zihao. This represents the brand’s first-ever partnership with an esports athlete. Zihao will now star alongside NBA player LeBron James and Chinese actor Bai Jingting to promote the former’s ‘Dribble &’ marketing campaign.
- Check out the top 5 most valuable esports companies according to Forbes. According to the business outlet, the list was created after “talking to company owners, bankers, and industry experts,” noting that numbers were “applied during each company’s most recent capital raise, comparable esports transactions, and their prospects.” On average, 2014 Think Now Research shows that Hispanics play video games more often than Non-Hispanics (12 hours per week vs. 9 hours for Non-Hispanics).Check out the ranking:
- Cloud9 — $310 million
- Team SoloMid — $250 million
- Team Liquid — $200 million
- Echo Fox — $150 million
- OpTic Gaming — $130 million
Ximena Cassab @xcassab
Ximena is a Swiss-Mexican journalist based in Mexico City where she specialized in business, and travel topics. Graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), she has worked as an editor at the magazines Expansión , Aire and Accent, from Expansion Group. Currently she is working with different media in Spanish and English independently. She is a passionate traveler who does not miss the opportunity to see a new place in the world.