The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Streaming service DAZN locked a five-year deal with boxing superstar Canelo Alvarez. The deal is valued at a minimum of $365 million, and includes 11 fights annually, making this the “richest sports contract in history,” according to the platform. "Canelo fighting on DAZN, we believe that that will help us attract some of the other fighters, some of the other premier fighters," stated John Skipper, DAZN executive chairman.
- Watch brand Tissot has inked new partnerships with the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards that designate it as the Official Watch of each of these franchises. Tissot has partnerships with six other NBA teams and has the status of Official Watch and Official Timekeeper of the NBA.
- NBA Houston Rockets locked in a multi-year partnership with ROKiT Phones that makes the company the team’s first jersey partner. The ROKiT logo will be featured on all Rockets jerseys in addition to ROKiT partnering with the team on various community outreach efforts throughout the season.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- 5050 Central Ltd. locked a partnership Minor League Baseball Charities as the “Official 50/50 Charitable Raffle Provider and Sponsor of Minor League Baseball Charities.” 5050 Central’s digital raffling platform will be used at two marquis industry events, the Minor League Baseball Innovators Summit and the Baseball Winter Meetings. According to MiLB, some 18.3-million U.S. Hispanics designate themselves as fans of Minor League Baseball, behind only the NBA and MLS.
- ESL has extended its partnership with Mercedes-Benz for two more years. The new deal makes the auto brand ESL’s global mobility partner and supports a variety of National and Global ESL tournaments through Dec. 31st, 2020. The deal also includes the continuation of the Most Valuable Player award which has been presented to the tournament’s best player at past ESL One Dota 2 tournaments. The price for the winner of the fan and expert voting includes a brand new Mercedes-Benz car. Hispanics are nearly twice as likely to buy and wear video game branded apparel, according to a 2014 Think Now Research study.
- Under Armour has inked new sponsorships with Mo Bamba and Hamidou Diallo. The deals comes after the brand announced it was adding Joel Embiid to the Under Armour family, last week. “Under Armour appreciates how culturally important basketball is in Harlem,” said Bamba, who plays Center for the Orlando Magic. “They feel that Harlem pride and responsibility that I carry, and are ready to support my long-term vision of giving back to the community that raised me.”