The Week in Soccer Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Manchester City partnered with esports organization Epsilon, to enter the FIFA 19 category for season four of the Gfinity Elite Series. A selection of players from City and Epsilon’s rosters of professional gamers will make up half of the team with the remaining players to be chosen through a draft.
- Fifa is looking to increase women’s soccer by doubling worldwide participation to 60 million by 2026. The soccer governing body also talked about introducing a women’s equivalent to the men’s World Club Cup, which brings together the winners of each region’s continental tournament. This would become ‘Fifa Women’s World League’.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- FC Barcelona renewed its partnership with banking firm Samba, for five more years. The club is looking to strengthen its brand in the Middle East by adding “partners that are best suited to the values and traits that define its brand.”
- Canadian media company Homestand Sports locked a partnership with LaLiga to host a series of live interactive LaLiga themed Footy Talks events in key markets across Canada. Each event will feature engaging sports panels with top Canadian media following the latest in LaLiga news analysis.
- BC Place, home of the Vancouver Whitecaps, has partnered with Ready and Bypass to become the first venue in North America to possess an app-free in-seat ordering facility. By scanning a unique QR code on the armrest of their seat fans can locate the order’s destination, before being taken directly to the menu. The user then places their order on their phone and pays using Bypass.
Ximena Cassab @xcassab
Ximena is a Swiss-Mexican journalist based in Mexico City where she specialized in business, and travel topics. Graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), she has worked as an editor at the magazines Expansión , Aire and Accent, from Expansion Group. Currently she is working with different media in Spanish and English independently. She is a passionate traveler who does not miss the opportunity to see a new place in the world.