The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Toronto will host the WWE SummerSlam Week in August 2019 with SummerSlam, Monday Night Raw, SmackDownLive and NXT taking place at Scotiabank Arena over four consecutive nights. “We are thrilled to bring WWE’s biggest event of the summer back to Toronto,” said John Saboor, WWE Executive Vice President, Special Events. “We look forward to working with our partners at Tourism Toronto and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment to build a blueprint that welcomes our global fan base to the great city of Toronto.”
- Pizza Hut is returning for a fourth season as the Official Pizza Sponsor of ESPN College Game Day built by the Home Depot. Each week, Pizza Hut will be onsite with its "House of Pi”, featuring a lounge to enjoy the full Game Day experience.
- Hyundai has become the new presenting sponsor of NBC’s Sunday Night Football Kickoff show and will have the marquee presence leading into the primetime game each week. For the fourth season in a row, Hyundai is the presenting sponsor of the NFL’s Kickoff celebration. According to Forbes, between 2005 and 2015, the total number of NFL Hispanic fans doubled from 750,000 to 1.5 million.
- Dos Equis, the Official Beer Sponsor of the College Football Playoff unveiled its new television spots featuring coaching staples Les Miles and Steve Spurrier as part of the brand’s “2 Keep It Interesante” campaign.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- Minor League Baseball renewed a multiyear extension of its partnership with Uncle Ray’s as the “Official Potato Chip of Minor League Baseball.” Uncle Ray’s will continue its coast-to-coast expansion with exponential growth anticipated in the coming years. According to MiLB, some 18.3-million U.S. Hispanics designate themselves as fans of Minor League Baseball, behind only the NBA and MLS.
- ESPN Deportes unveiled a new This is Sports Center campaign featuring Lineal Middleweight World Champion Canelo Alvarez and undefeated WBC, WBA and IBO Middleweight World Champion Gennady Golovkin ahead of their upcoming rematch on Sept. 15.
- Philips Arena in Atlanta has been renamed after State Farm locked in a deal to snag naming rights to the venue, now called State Farm Arena. The venue is expected to reopen in October as the Hawks celebrate their 50th year in Atlanta.
- The NFL team owners will permit franchises to sell sponsorship deals to casinos that work alongside bookmakers and betting companies. Still, casinos will be prohibited from directly advertising its associated sportsbook in its partnership with an NFL team. According to CNN Money, the NFL’s Hispanic viewership grew by 28% from 2011-2016.
- FanDuel Group and Minute Media are launching The Duel, a fan-generated digital platform focused on fantasy sports and sports betting news and information. The partnership will “blend together authentic, fan-fueled editorial content alongside expert-led video and audio programming for the growing segment of fantasy sports and betting fanatics” across NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAAF, NCAAB, and PGA. The platform will also feature expert audio and video content from popular FanDuel personalities including JJ Zachariason, Jim Sannes, and Brandon Gdula.