The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- The NBA Mexico City Games 2018 will feature the Orlando Magic playing regular-season games against the Chicago Bulls on Dec. 13, and against the Utah Jazz on Dec. 15 at the Arena Ciudad de Mexico in Mexico City. This will be the third consecutive season the NBA plays two regular-season games in Mexico City, with coverage on ESPN. The NBA Mexico City Games 2018 will be supported by a full roster of marketing partners, including Nike, SAP, Gatorade and Tissot with additional partners to be announced in the coming months.
- United Entertainment Group is launching its first-ever offering in Asia where industry veteran Toru Fumihara has been hired as the Managing Director of UEG's new office in Tokyo, which will serve as a hub for the Asian marketplace. This marks the third international office the agency has opened in the span of one year, starting with London in 2017 and Hamburg, Germany earlier in 2018.
- As the official beer of the NFL, Bud Light is introducing new designs for cans that feature a team logo, as well as a customized color stripe down the side. In total, each of Bud Light’s 28 team partners will be featured in the new designs, along with an NFL Shield edition to round out the collection. The new cans hit shelves this week.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
Former NASCAR executive David Higdon has a new lane to oversee, joining Riot Games in the newly created position of global head of communications, esports. Higdon previously served as VP of integrated marketing communications for NASCAR and as CCO for the LPGA.
- DAZN announced the sublicensing deals for its NFL coverage in Canada after experiencing streaming issues last season. Streaming and satellite providers including BCE Inc., Rogers Communications, Shaw Communications and SaskTel will distribute NFL Sunday Ticket for the upcoming season.
- The NFL won’t be playing in London’s new Tottenham Hotspur stadium as it was planned. Developers announced delays in opening the venue due to safety concerns so this year’s NFL game that was set for the location will now take place at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 14. The game will feature the Seahawks vs Raiders.