The Week in Soccer Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- 90min announced new partnerships with Budweiser, Hyundai, Right Guard, Listerine, Caliente, Samsung and BOSS Fragrance for its World Cup content. For the deal, the soccer–specialized website will use fan reporters to write on-the-ground stories from Russia, it will also provide street-level video reporting that focuses on the fan journey, the fan culture in Russia and the “combustion moments that happen on and off-the-pitch.
- Telemundo and Google announced a partnership to bring Telemundo’s Spanish-language World Cup content to Google and YouTube for soccer fans across the US. For the first time ever, World Cup fans searching on Google for their favorite teams, matches, and scores in Spanish in the US will see close to real-time video highlights from Telemundo Deportes. In addition, the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia games on Telemundo will be offered in markets where YouTube TV is available.
- Amazon locked a three-year deal to broadcast live Premier League matches and weekly highlights packages on its Prime Video service in the UK, starting with the 2019-20 season. This marks the first time that Premier League TV rights have been acquired by a non-traditional broadcaster.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- FIFA, partnered with Budweiser and Twitter to make it easier for fans to vote for the Man of the Match Award during the 2018 FIFA World Cup. The new Twitter voting platforms will offer an enhanced visual voting portal and will update to include active players on the pitch. When voting concludes, @FIFAWorldCup will tweet the name of the winner.
- The National Women’s Soccer League announced that ESPN will telecast six NWSL Games of the Week on ESPNEWS throughout the remainder of the season. By doing this, the ESPN will replace the previously scheduled games on Lifetime. All six nationally televised games will be slated for evening kickoffs.
- The Canadian Premier League has added Valour FC as one of the founding clubs set to play in Canada’s new professional men’s soccer league in the spring of 2019, plating out of Investors Group Field.
- FIFA signed its first 2018 World Cup sponsor from Africa, agreeing to a deal with the government of Egypt. "Egypt - Experience & Invest" - a campaign which FIFA says aims to showcase the “wide spectrum of tourism experiences and investment potential Egypt has to offer” - fills the first of four African slots in a program for third-tier commercial deals. FIFA has now 20 sponsors of the 34 places in its 2018 World Cup commercial program.
- Telemundo Deportes’s En Vivo App will include a custom emoji keyboard during the FIFA World Cup, in partnership with Sportsmania.
Ximena Cassab @xcassab
Ximena is a Swiss-Mexican journalist based in Mexico City where she specialized in business, and travel topics. Graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), she has worked as an editor at the magazines Expansión , Aire and Accent, from Expansion Group. Currently she is working with different media in Spanish and English independently. She is a passionate traveler who does not miss the opportunity to see a new place in the world.