The Week in Soccer Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in soccer marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- ESPN networks and ESPN+ will get together to present all 2018 Canadian Football League regular season and postseason games. ESPN2 and ESPNEWS will broadcast more than 20 games, this includes the Eastern and Western Finals and 106th Grey Cup. Also, ESPN+ will stream close to 70 games.
- Telemundo Station Group will have a team of 12 local station journalists from Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, McAllen and its news bureaus in Washington, D.C., and Miami sent to the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia. This marks the largest group of Telemundo station journalists to ever report from an international, live sporting event.
- Herbalife Nutrition extended its multi-year sponsorship with soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo until 2021. Herbalife Nutrition continues as the exclusive rights holder to promote Ronaldo in connection with the nutrition, wellness, and sports performance products category.
- DraftKings and Jägermeister announced “The Real Shot,” a bracket-style soccer competition by which US soccer fans will be able to adopt a team and carry with them throughout the World Cup. “Sports is one of the fastest growing forms of content, accelerated by fan engagement and participation, and we are committed to bringing top-tier content to our extremely engaged customer base,” stated Ezra Kucharz, Chief Business Officer of DraftKings
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- Telemundo Deportes presented its World Cup broadcast theme song and music production. “Sueño de Campeones” or “Champions Dream,” was produced by Yoav Goren. The song will be used across Telemundo Deportes’ live broadcasts, pre- and post-games and additional World Cup programming.
- MLS announced that FC Cincinnati will become the league’s newest expansion team. The squad will continue to use the University of Cincinnati's Nippert Stadium as its home until its own venue is completed. "The rise of Cincinnati as a passionate soccer market in recent years, coinciding with the city's growing economy and reputation as a top destination for young professionals makes it an ideal city for our growing league,” said MLS Commissioner Don Garber.
- The Canadian Premier League confirmed that HFX Wanderers will be one of the founding clubs to play in the professional men’s soccer league set to debut in Spring 2019. Based in based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the team will be the primary tenant at a new soccer stadium at Wanderers Ground, downtown.
- SportsEngine will partner with Telemundo Deportes to promote participation in youth soccer programs across the US. SportsEngine’s youth sports directory will dedicate its homepage to soccer programs, during this summer World Cup on Telemundo. In addition, SportsEngine is launching its first bilingual advertising campaign, in partnership with Telemundo, to promote soccer to youth across the United States.
- Telemundo Deportes is partnering with David Villa and his production company, Designated Player, to produce a wide range of soccer content around the World Cup to air across all Telemundo network and digital platforms. As part of the partnership, Villa will narrate a video series entitled Como Llegaron.