The Week in Multicultural Sports Marketing
A summary of the most exciting news in multicultural sports marketing. If you're trying to keep up, consider this your one-stop shop.
- Streaming service fuboTV added SNY, the official television home of the New York Mets, Jets, and all things New York sports, to its channels, making it available to new and existing “Fubo Premier” subscribers at no additional cost. With this, fuboTV has become the only OTT provider to offer all three NY regional sports networks in its base package.
- Major League Baseball renewed alliances with HBO to create customized "Game of Thrones" events, giveaways, ticket specials and experiences to participating MLB ballparks this Summer. 31% of MLB players are Latino, according to ESPN.
Ricardo Zúñiga has become Deputy Coordinating Editor for ESPN’s global digital content team. He’ll be covering content in Mexico, the Caribbean, Central and South America and other territories. He will also work closely with the ESPN Deportes team on editorial integration of the U.S. Hispanic content.
- beIN Sports signed a TV deal with Major League Wrestling, starting April 20. According to a Washington Post poll, 38% of mixed martial arts fans are African-American, and 31% are Hispanics.
- Peter Hutton, former Eurosport CEO, will become Facebook’s Director of Global Live Sports Partnerships and Programming, leading the live sports broadcast strategy. According to The Nativa, in 2016 there were 28.03 million US Hispanics on Facebook.
Subscribe to Portada daily Sports Marketing Updates!
- Heineken had to remove a Heineken Light ad, after being accused of using a “terribly racist” tagline, by Chance the Rapper in a tweet, which quickly generated controversy. “Sometimes Lighter Is Better,” was the campaign’s slogan.
Heineken USA issued a statement within hours: "For decades, Heineken has developed diverse marketing that shows there's more that unites us than divides us. While we feel the ad is referencing our Heineken Light beer — we missed the mark, are taking the feedback to heart and will use this to influence future campaigns."
- Hankook Tire and Major League Baseball entered into a new multi-year sponsorship that names Hankook Tire the Official Tire of MLB in the United States and Korea. The new partnership aims to showcase Hankook Tire across Baseball's media assets including MLB Network, digital platforms such as MLB.com & social media, and MLB ballparks.
- Los Angeles Dodgers have extended their partnership with San Manuel Casino for the eleventh consecutive season. In addition to joint hospitality and marketing opportunities, San Manuel and the Dodgers will collaborate with the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation.
- The NFL and Nike extended their on-field rights partnership. Nike will continue to provide all 32 NFL Clubs with uniforms and sideline apparel bearing the Nike brand for use during all games. "Nike has been a long-time and trusted partner of NFL and we're thrilled to extend our relationship with them," said Brian Rolapp, Chief Media and Business Officer for the NFL.
Check out the stars of Portada's Sports Marketing Board, who will meet at Portada Miami on April 18-19 to discuss various topics related to the future of marketing and innovation in sports. Register now!