Top LatAm News Sites: 85% of Mexican Internet Users Read News Online
What: We looked at ComScore's data on the most-visited news websites in Latin America and particularly Mexico in January 2018.
Why it matters: 57.6% of Latin American users looked for news online, while 85% of Mexicans with an internet connection browsed news websites.
Latin Americans' interests touch various areas, but being well-informed of the news is an activity that most people everywhere consider important. We have seen that internet users in Latin American countries look for many types of online content, from travel information to sports and entertainment, but the news is the kind of content they consume more. More than half of all Latin Americans with internet access (57.6%) looked at the news online in January, and these were the sites where they did so.
Top 10 News Websites in Latin America, January 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||191,289|
|6||Infobae - TKM||6,756|
|7||Folha de S. Paulo||6,497|
|8||Yahoo-HuffPost News Network||6,043|
|9||El Pais Sites||5,663|
|10||Grupo La Nacion||5,529|
- From the total of users who looked at the news online, 19.2% visited Brazilian website Globo Noticias.
- 12.6% of users looked for information at MSN News.
- UOL Noticias, another Brazilian website, received 10.4% of visits.
- Argentina-based Grupo Clarin was visited by 8.5% of users.
- 20Minutos sites in Mexico, Spain and the U.S. received 6.4% of visits.
- Similar amounts of users looked for relevant information at Infobae-TKM, Folha de S. Paulo, and Yahoo-HuffPost. They received 6.1%, 5.8%, and 5.4% of visitors respectively.
- In the last two spots were El Pais and Grupo La Nacion, with 5.1% and 5% of visits.
Top 10 News Websites in Mexico, January 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop, All Smartphones, All Tablets||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||68,613|
|1||El Universal de México||15,839|
|4||Grupo Publicidad y Contenido Editorial||8,756|
|8||Organizacion Editorial Mexicana||6,382|
- 85% of Mexican internet users look for information in a wide variety of websites.
- At the top of the ranking is El Universal, whose website received 26.8% of visits.
- 21.5% of users looked for information at Debate.com.
- Grupo SDP, which recently acquired fake news site El Deforma, was visited by 15.2% of users.
- Not far behind was Grupo Publicidad y Contenido Editorial with 14.8% of visits.
- 12.1% of users looked for news information at Grupo Proceso.
- Noticieros Televisa received 11.8% of visits, while 11.4% of users visited the Grupo Milenio website.
- Organización Editorial Mexicana was visited by 10.8% of users.
- At the bottom of the list, Publimetro and 20Minutos received a similar amount of visits, 10.4% and 10.2% respectively.