Top LatAm Travel Sites: Only 26.4% of Latin Americans Look at Travel Content Online
What: We took a look at how many Latin American internet users visited travel websites online in December 2017, and particularly Mexicans.
Why it matters: While about 85% of internet users in Latin America look at entertainment sites, only 26.4% visit travel sites, which could mean the travel industry has a lot to work on to reach Latin American audiences.
TripAdvisor advertises itself as the largest travel site online. While this might be true, the number of Latin Americans who devote internet-browsing time to travel content is rather limited, especially when compared to how many users look for entertainment websites. Is it a bad moment for Latin American travelers? Perhaps it is best for marketers in the industry to make traveling easier, or to provide more engaging content to keep traveling dreams alive.
Top 10 Travel Websites in Latin America, December 2017
|Total Audience, Home & Work, PC/Laptop Only||Total Unique Visitors/Viewers (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||193,562|
|8||GOL Linhas Aereas||2,942|
- 26.4% of Latin American Internet users looked for travel information websites in December 2017.
- 21% of Latin Americans who looked for travel options on the internet visited TripAdvisor, more than any other website.
- 18.2% of users looked for travel information on Despegar-Decolar sites, not too far behind TripAdvisor.
- Close behind Despegar-Decolar is Expedia, with 17.2% of users.
- Priceline.com received 13.7% of users looking for travel information.
- 9.7% of Latin Americans looking for travel options online visited latam.com.
- Airbnb and Uber had similar numbers of visitors, with 6.6% and 6.1% respectively.
- Brazilian website GOL Linhas Aereas received 5.7% of Latin American visitors, while 3.3% of users visited the Brazilian version of Viajanet. In total, 9% of users looked for travel information in Brazilian websites.
- MSN travel, the only site in the list that doesn't offer booking services, received 2.9% of visitors.
Top 10 Travel Websites in Mexico, December 2017
|Total Audience, Home & Work, PC/Laptop and Mobile Devices||Total Unique Visitors/Viewers (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||64,655|
|10||Viajes Beda SA||953|
- [Source: comScore]
- When we look at Mexico in particular, we find that 35% of Internet users devoted some time to looking at travel information websites.
- Among those users looking for travel information, 38% used Uber.
- TripAdvisor received 17.2% percent of users.
- 11.8% of Mexicans looking for travel information visited Expedia.
- Despegar-Decolar sites are not too far behind with 8.4% of users.
- Volaris, VivaAerobus, and Interjet are strong competitors to each other. They all received similar numbers of visitors with 5.6%, 5.5% and 5.4% of users respectively.
- Priceline follows from up close with 5.2% of users.
- At the last two spots, with very similar numbers of visitors, we find Reservamos.mx and Viajes Beda SA, with 4.2% and 4% respectively.